• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody else wondering about the children in the news

Heartl

I feel like the children in the news that have sudden paralysis from a virus might have something similar to CFS or EBV. When I first got sick I couldn’t lift my arms. Later diagnosed with EBV and CFS (or they just don’t know)

Pyrrhus

This past summer has been an especially bad enterovirus season. It's not yet clear which enterovirus is behind this summer's hand-foot-mouth cases and acute-flaccid-myelitis cases. Preliminary work in Colorado points to Enterovirus 71, but it's too early to be sure.

Heartl

I was wondering if any of these children just received the flu shot. I’m not sure they would mention on the news if they had or not. For me when I was younger (in my 20s) every time I got the shot I would have some weird neurological symptoms

Dakota15

Just wanted to leave this update that I read from today:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/health/afm-cdc-update/index.html?no-st=1542143234 - "As More Cases Confirmed, CDC Says Evidence Suggets 'Viral Association' for AFM"

Some interesting notes from the article:

- "The CDC also seems to be getting closer to determining a cause of the disease. According to the new report, Clinical, laboratory, and epidemiologic evidence to date suggest a viral association."

- "In the past two weeks, the agency has come under criticism from its own medical advisers for not zeroing in on a virus as a cause and instead also considering causes such as genetic disorders and environmental toxins."

- "Two weeks ago, four of the CDC's outside medical advisers on AFM expressed frustration to CNN that the agency insisted on casting its net wide, looking at genetic causes and possible environmental causes. The experts felt that the agency shouldn't waste its time on those causes, which they said were highly unlikely, and instead should focus on a virus as the most likely reason behind AFM."

- "Many of the CDC's outside medical consultants have long thought that a virus -- specifically an enterovirus-- was most likely at the root of AFM"

Heartl

Very interesting

Also on the news a couple of days ago interviewed some parents who young children have died from this yet the CDC has not come out and said their were any deaths

https://www.mdedge.com/pediatricnew...sons-emerge-europes-first-enterovirus-related
Dr. Worner reported on 196 children treated for laboratory-confirmed EV-A71–associated brain stem encephalitis at 16 Spanish hospitals in April-December 2016.
Moderately affected patients received two doses of intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG), each dosed at 1 g/kg per 24 hours. Admission to the pediatric ICU was individualized for patients with moderate EV-A71–associated brain stem encephalitis.
Forty percent of patients received IVIG and systemic steroids, 24% received IVIG only, 2% systemic steroids only, and 34% received no treatment other than supportive care.

Twenty-six percent of children were admitted to a pediatric ICU for a median stay of 3.5 days. Nine percent of children were placed on mechanical ventilation.
(MY BOLD)