• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any suggestions for lesbian or gay groups (not for me)

Dolphin

I was talking to a woman with ME earlier who wanted to know of other lesbian or gay people with the condition.

She works and then is exhaused at the weekends so has dropped out of the gay scene and finds it tough.

I know a few gay people and lesbians in our group but they are spread out throughout the country.

I reckon she might also come across others (incl. perhaps in Ireland) if she joined specific internet groups.

She says she doesn't want to use Facebook for this purpose as it is so public.

I intend searching yahoogroups but if anybody has any suggestions, I'll pass them on (without your details unlike you want to include them). You can private message me if you prefer.

Dolphin

Gay Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Group

Here is one I found - it started in 2005 and has 25 members:

Announcing a new e-mail group: Gay Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Group

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a difficult and challenging illness that affects every aspect of our lives. Gay people with CFS also face additional challenges added onto what others with this illness have to deal with.
Finding support and other people with this illness to feel connected to can be difficult. I am hoping gay people and others in their lives will find it safe in this moderated private online support group to discuss anything they like. You don't just have to talk about the illness itself all the time. I know the group may start out small, but I am hoping as time goes on it will grow. Regardless of the number of people in the group, I am hoping that by joining members will find support, information and companionship with others who share their illness and face it's challenges on a daily basis.

[Also, to all of the Webmasters out there, we would appreciate your linking to our Web page.]

You can join at
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gay_Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_Group/

E-Mail: Gay_Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_Group-owner@yahoogroups.com

The only other one I found on yahoogroups was Amazon Lifeline:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/amazonlifeline/

Group Information
Members: 64
Category: Women's
Founded: Mar 8, 2003
Language: English

Description

Amazon Lifeline is a support and social group for lesbian, bisexual and transgendered women who are living with chronic illness or disability. The group provides a safe, accepting and supportive friendship circle--a source of encouragement, connection, laughter, information, and companionship.

What kind of chronic illnesses and disabilities are welcome in this group? All kinds. For example: Ulcerative colitis, sleep apnea, Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, psychiatric illnesses, physical disabilities, Parkinsons disease, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, myalgic encephalomyelitis/PVFS/CFS, multiple sclerosis, migraines, mastocytosis, Lyme disease, lupus, lipodystrophy, interstitial cystitis, inflammatory bowel disease/syndrome, inflammatory arthritis, idiopathic anaphylaxis, hypo/hyperthyroidism, hypertension, hepatitis, gout, fibromyalgia, epilepsy, diabetes, depression, deafness, cystic fibrosis, Crohns disease, chronic pain, cancer, blindness, bipolar disorder, autoimmune disorders, asthma, arthritis, allergies, AIDS-HIV, and as yet undiagnosed. Unfortunately, there are many more illnesses and disabilities than there is room to list them.

What this group is not:
This is not a dating club.
This group is not well suited to those who dont have much time to put into it.
This is not well suited to those who tend to join a group and then lose interest quickly.