• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any stories of remission from Magnesium IV/Infusions?

Guwop2

Hello, a relative sent me an article about someone who had remission from M.E after undergoing magenesium infusions. I had a few questions:

Is there a scientific reason why magnesium infusions might help 'cure' someone with M.E?

Why would mag. infusions be preferable over magnesium capsule supplementation? (ive been taking capsules on and off for some time and have only noticed that it helps reduce anxiety/aids deeper sleep).

Irat

Magnesium threoneate is the only one crossing the blood brain barrier and its an NMDA antagonist , blocks calcium channels, decreasing neuronal hyperexcitation and excititoxicity
  • Can have anxiolytic effects and improve sleep quality
  • Improves synaptic activity and plasticity
  • Improves glucose metabolism and energy production
  • May increase cerebrospinal fluid in the brain
  • Restore memory deficiet
  • Helps neurophaty
I know someone who went into remission with it from SSRI induced neurotoxicity and bedbound.BUT there are also ppl who where first tremendiously helped by it and and they came off they had severe withdrawal symptoms.,or no effects at all while taking it.

Last edited:

Guwop2

Magnesium threoneate is the only one crossing the blood brain barrier and its an NMDA antagonist , blocks calcium channels, decreasing neuronal hyperexcitation and excititoxicity

Ive called a few clinics and they commonly only offer Mag. Sulphat and Mag. Glutonate. I dont suppose you know where the people you mention had their IV treatment?

Irat

Ive called a few clinics and they commonly only offer Mag. Sulphat and Mag. Glutonate. I dont suppose you know where the people you mention had their IV treatment?
They took it orally....hmm I thought only threonate can cross the blood brain barrier.but others can too I saw. I don t know why the ppl I know from my group did choose threonate.everupy magnesium I think does different things ..best you do some more research @Guwop2

Last edited:

Guwop2

Magnesium N-Acetyl tauronate also crosses the brain-blood barrier and has a good bioavailability... I improved on drip-feeding it.

What clinic did you use to receive the Magnesium N-Acetyl tauronate infusions? Called a few clinics here in London and they only offer Sulphate and Glutonate versions

Irat

1630427555576.png

Hip

Is there a scientific reason why magnesium infusions might help 'cure' someone with M.E?

There could be any number of scientific explanations. Magnesium is an old treatment for ME/CFS, and some ME/CFS patients report feeling better with magnesium injections (though these can be painful).

Magnesium in high doses acts as an NMDA receptor blocker. I used to use high dose transdermal magnesium as an anti-anxiety treatment, because anxiety is linked to NMDA receptor activation. My method detailed in this post. So maybe that could be a factor.

Another possible factor is that ATP can only release its energy when it is complexed with magnesium in the cell, so if you have low intracellular magnesium, then you may not be able to extract enough energy from your ATP.

The Myhill group found that a subset of ME/CFS patients have a low "ATP Ratio", which indicates low magnesium in the cell. See the yellow graphs in this post (grapb B). So maybe if you are an ME/CFS patient with particularly low intracellular magnesium, then magnesium infusions may be helpful.

LINE

Do NOT do Magnesium IM Injections - was fantastic but caused problems. This is mag sulfate which has a pharmacological effect so it is very temporary. You do better building stores of magnesium.

As others have said, there are many different forms which can have different bioavailability. UltraMag is a multiple form of magnesium (magnesium citrate, succinic acid complex, glycinate, malate and taurine complex). Magnesium chloride (transdermal as Hip said) can work well.

Learner1

No. I've had magnesium as a part of customized nutrient IVs of B vitamins, C, and other minerals, along with glutathione, which have helped my symptoms and function but magnesium alone does not have the sane effect.

I'm low on magnesium and my doctor prescribed magnesium glycerophosphate.

Not sure in which category this falls into, but if there are large differences I might investigate more. IV Magnesium was indeed a standard treatment for CFS in the local hospital but I haven't tried it yet.

Found this:
- Magnesium glycinate (or bisglycinate) - Non-- Laxative, Calming
-Magnesium glycerophosphate - energizing, balancing. This form becomes soluble only when it reaches the intestinal tract and, as a result, can be absorbed rather than eliminated as waste
M-agnesium malate - Energizing, do not take in evening
-Magnesium citrate - Laxative, Calming, Sleep, best taken at nigt
-Magnesium threonate - Crosses Blood Brain Barrier

HRManager

"Deal with it"
Magnesium helps a lot with my fibro pain. I find a mix of oral and transdermal (I use lotion or spray oil) works the best. I don't know if its just because I feel better, but I do have more energy when I remember to use my lotion or oil.