• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any recent ME/CFS outbreaks?

Murph

:)
But in wider ME/CFS outbreaks across a city or region, it's unlikely there is an environmental factor present in the whole region, so these type of outbreaks may just occur when a new strain of virus hits a town or region. But of course for each person who develops ME/CFS from this new stain of virus, a dual-factor etiology may be at play: they may have developed ME/CFS from the virus because their immune system was compromised from mold, major chronic stress, or other factors.

It will be interestig to see if some areas or workplaces get higher rates of long covid for a given rate of covid. I expect yes.

frozenborderline

Is there a way to poll the readers of PR or even broader CFS patient populations and ask: If you got sick with CFS after 2000, are you or your family/friends aware of other CFS patients in your local geographic area who got sick at the same time as you?
There were only five families on my small dirt road in small town and a severely ill person in one of the other families, and one of my sisters has mild cfs and mire severe mcas . I don't think clusters have gone away , but that social atomization means people don't talk to neighbors and aren't aware of these things.

Murph

:)
One last point - a lack of outbreaks is unhelpful for advocacy. The absence of well-known outbreaks means nobody fears MECFS and it has permitted the psychological model to weasel its way into discourse.

What would happen if the next 100 cases of ME were not solo people coming down alone in their bedrooms but instead a high-profile outbreak among a highly-visible, well-connected and highly privileged group? Perhaps a conference of New York attorneys? A graduating class at John Hopkins? Something to rally a bit more attention and money to this disease!

(to be clear I'm not wishing illness on anyone here! Just saying that if we're going to have another 100 cases around the world this week - and surely we will - it'd be helpful for them to be more visible.)

I feel weird about this post now. If this was a movie... well. this is some blatant foreshadowing. To think that 12 months later it all kicked off.

Pyrrhus

Related discussion:

Due to the "pandemic-endemic transition", new viruses can initially show up as discrete outbreaks, but later appear just as sporadic cases.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...possibly-caused-by-another-coronavirus.86397/
Essentially, this genetic dating shows how a worldwide coronaviral pandemic that started as discrete outbreaks could become an endemic common cold virus over time, showing up as sporadic cases instead of as discrete outbreaks.

frozenborderline

I feel weird about this post now. If this was a movie... well. this is some blatant foreshadowing. To think that 12 months later it all kicked off.
I thought it was a great opportunity , the pandemic. However its fairlynunclear if the increased spending will be allocated correctly and if it will pan out. At some point, capitalist governments want to ensure a labor force that is healthy enough to work , and so if the numbers of disabled reach a high enough level they impacteconomy, they will have to do something about that.