• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any other women have POTS/OI flare up before and during a period?

hellytheelephant

Hi

any other POTS/OI sufferers get worse before or during their period?
I have noticed this on and off for some years.I am already taking electrolyte, and it is helpful ( I really notice the difference if I forget to take it)
Would be interested to know if this affects others too.

Helly

Seven7

Seven
OH MY GOD mine is horrible! I have heavy Ps. Let me tell you what I discovered a few months ago and has been a blessing. Iron! I do not struggle w constipation (on the contrary) So I can take 2 pills together w no problem. I load on the iron like a week before and I don't get so out of commission lately. I still pass out more often, but not to the point I was at before.
The doctor gave me some iron which is suppose to be better but I use the cheap from super and works for me.

hellytheelephant

Thanks @Inester7
I do take iron...just not v regularly. I am having heavy Ps too, so I think I need to sort the iron out. I do suffer with constipation so I take liquid iron - Floradix.

Seven7

Seven
Thanks @Inester7
I do take iron...just not v regularly. I am having heavy Ps too, so I think I need to sort the iron out. I do suffer with constipation so I take liquid iron - Floradix.
Ah that is the one she prescribed but I can't tolerate folic acid ( I do the pills). It puts me to sleep, like swollen brain. Why I am doing regular.

L'engle

moogle
My OI gets worse at that time but not really until during. Mine aren't very heavy but my body doesn't seem to do well with even small losses of blood. I'm generally weaker than usual for the first three days.

Paralee

Ah that is the one she prescribed but I can't tolerate folic acid ( I do the pills). It puts me to sleep, like swollen brain. Why I am doing regular.

@Inester7 , just making sure what you meant on the swollen brain. Did you mean the iron ? Or the folic acid? Just wondering because my head feels "full" a lot of times. Thanks

Seven7

Seven
@Inester7 , just making sure what you meant on the swollen brain. Did you mean the iron ? Or the folic acid? Just wondering because my head feels "full" a lot of times. Thanks
Folic acid. I cannot tolerate folic acid is a very bizarre brain feeling but not in a good way. I get like sleepy and like I cannot function at all feeling from it. I have the genetic A1298c I think is called mutation which supposedly mean I need it. But cannot tolerate it.

Paralee

@lnester7 , I figured you had the A1298C if you were referring to folic acid.

@hellytheelephant , good luck to you. I'm assuming if the iron doesn't work you know about the thyroid's connection (sort of) to heavy P's. What electrolytes do you take? Oh, you're in England, I need to find a brand/type that is good.

Paralee

Thanks @hellytheelephant. When I was low thyroid my P's were awful, when they'relike mine were (heavy and sometimes long, but very heavy for sure) it can be a thyroid sign. Since you're peri-menopausal I don't know if that could be a problem or not, but if it were me I'd get my FreeT3 and FreeT4 - thyroid hormones - checked, and I would never take a doctor's word on if they were normal or not.....but that's just me. Good luck.

Edit: I'll try to make sure I don't have to edit this again. Many women are a little anemic when they have their P's, so the iron is important, also. But if the thyroid is low and can be controlled, the iron can be supplemented back to normal, hopefully.

hellytheelephant

I had my thyroid checked in a blood test and it was fine according to my Dr ( we are not given read outs of blood tests here). Yup- all in flux and stress of last couple of weeks ( probs with applying for social security benefit here in Uk) has made all my symptoms flare up. I do recommend the electrolyte though- If I have to go out for more than a short time, I take half a litre with me.

Paralee

@hellytheelephant , I thought the UK-England had to give you your results. He/she probably just did a tsh test, but that can tell a little bit.
That electrolyte doesn't ship to the US, so I'll find a good one here, but thanks.