• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any contact with Asia before the onset of ME/CFS?

I am convinced of that too. Something leads to weakened immune system and THEN a virus sets in. Usually more than one I would say. Although I feel that that initial "something" could be a virus too. Such as... you get a normal flu, and your body fights it off in the next couple weeks. However during that flu time, you get exposed to that other virus which sets in.

cfs since 1998

I've never been to Asia, or out of the country at all really. But there was a girl, Rochelle, on the HHV6 board who said she got mono when she visited India while she was in college. She had CFS for almost 5 years and recovered on Valcyte.

I have been to Thailand and Japan before CFS. Might have picked something up but I was at Thailand over 2 years ago and japan this time last year. I have had CFS for 6 months. I pushed myself to the extremes when it kicked in. No virus besides mild glandular fever again. I have no sore throat, swollen glands, headaches or runny nose, Just brain fog, muscle aches, fatigue and insomnia.

I was in Japan on a school trip just before becoming severely ill. I was mildly unwell while there and became very ill within a few weeks of returning home. My doctor at the time said I had a 'major, unidentifiable virus'.

Becc that is interesting. While in Japan I had some sort of really mild cold thing was still able to sight see go out, snowboard and all that. But I was having trouble sleeping and was waking up really early like at 3am. So i would leave my gf in the room and go walk around the city till the sun came up then head back to the room so I didn't wake her. Seemed to get over this when back in Australia, but it could have been the start of something going wrong in my body. CFS cam 6 months later.

K

krissy

I think this discussion only highlights where the virus has been picked up. Obviously people have picked it up in the US and around the world. I am finding it interesting to hear people's stories. Until the article on XMRV was written this fall, I had no knowledge of the Whittmore Peterson Institute and all you people out there with my "same story." I thought I was alone in this as I quit seeking medical help in 2002 after I went to the Mayo Clinic and for a $10,000 examination they sent me to a psychiatrist implying it was all in my head. You all have this same story in some form. It is good to share notes, what has helped, what doesn't help, and to know we are not in this alone.