• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxiety link to irritable bowel syndrome seen in DNA - research

Treeman

Genes may go some way towards explaining why a common but poorly understood gut disorder - irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) - is often linked to anxiety, say researchers.

They hope their discovery will stop IBS being wrongly labelled as an emotional state or "all in the mind".

The team studied more than 50,000 individuals with IBS, comparing their DNA with that of healthy people.

The results are published in the journal Nature Genetics.

Anxiety link to irritable bowel syndrome seen in DNA - research - BBC News

ljimbo423

Genes may go some way towards explaining why a common but poorly understood gut disorder - irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

I come from a family where there were 2 fathers but the same mother. 3 kids from each father. Myself, my brother and my sister all have IBS. My 2 half brothers and sister, don't have it.

This might point to a genetic component.

Rufous McKinney

Read some of that.

I don't understand how so many people can function with these really common illnesses like IBS.

How do you get to a meeting on time? I'm looking for a bathroom much of the time, plus my bladder is also a mess.

How do people make appointments and get to them when you Gut is simply never cooperating. Its got its own plan and could care less what your's is.

We supposedly have medical privacy. yet my coworkers never needed to stop at bathrooms.

So that situation is ANXIETY GENERATING

I noticed how a field trip with my daughter- that was simply going outside somewhere, and we would be by ourselves. Suddenly I'm far less anxious. I can simply pee by whatever bush I so chose, whenever I want to.

So these symptoms make functioning in the world truely difficult. Its embarrassing and follows you around everywhere.

I can't eat breakfast like regular folks, I'm nauseated in the morning for a long time.

DNA wise- my mom had similar IBS gut troubles. She was also hospitalized with depression.

Yet, I"m with my mom a week before triple bypass surgery and she is unphased, not anxious in the least.

And I can't eat lunch.