• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxiety in ME-patients (BECAUSE of the ME, not the other way around.)

Hip

Approximately 80% of serotonin receptors are located in the gut -- so sometimes anxiety in CFS/ME may be related to intestinal dysbiosis or fungal/candida infections and can be improved by treating the infections or supplementing with different high-dose probiotics.

But yes, different forms of anxiety are definitely a part of CFS/ME.

I can definitely attest to the theory that sometimes anxiety in CFS/ME is related to intestinal dysbiosis. There are several gut-brain connection paths (vagus nerve link, nitric oxide signaling, cytokines), and it turns out that gut infection and inflammation can have a knock-on effect, and kick off brain inflammation (Ref). Brain inflammation has powerful and deleterious effect on mood, and can give rise to anxiety and depression symptoms.

Once I started taking generous doses of PREBIOTICS (rather than probiotics) to fix my gut dysbiosis, within a week or so, my anxiety symptoms were vastly improved.

Some info on the use of PREBIOTICS to soothe gut dysbiosis/inflammation is here: The Wonders of Prebiotics. If you are going to try this prebiotic protocol, please use high doses of more than one type of prebiotic, two or three times a day. This makes all the difference. Probiotics may be useful too, but I thing they are not as important as prebiotics. At least, that is what I discovered.

I hope this prebiotics protocol helps others fix their anxiety/depression as much as it helped fix my mental miseries.