• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxiety after too much methylfolate?

ljimbo423

Yes, low dose vitamin B3- niacin, not niacinamide pulled me out of it in about 30-45 minutes every time. All I needed usually was 25-30mg. If that didn't work in about 45 minutes, I would take another 20-30 mg.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This was a good recent post about methylation: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...orking-can’t-find-the-missing-cofactor.76310/

The person who started the thread said in #17, "Methylfolate gives me anxiety and makes me extremely clammy and feel like I'm going through some kind of withdrawal. It's very weird."

Another poster who had the name of DrHouse_Italy (now BodySoulSpirit77 as she seems to have changed her username) gave some good suggestions.

Hi Judee :D .. I'm a male :rolleyes::lol:;):p

30 mg of niacin are ok to counteract the excess of methyl groups. It can be repeated every 3 hours, maximum 3 times. No more because b3 is a nutrient itself and as such should be used, and in excess it tends to neutralize all the methyl groups of the organism. An excess of folate should NEVER be contrasted with the b12, if one has taken chronically high doses of b12, unless there is a documented lack of b12.

I've read so many strange things. That a folate trap can be tricked with huge amounts of folate ... that an excess of folate causes inflammation ... these are just speculations not based on biochemical theories. An excess of folates can outgrow its ability to be metabolized and become trapped, hence signs and symptoms that affect the central nervous system and rapidly replicating tissues (primarily skin and gastrointestinal tract), but do not cause inflammation. And it is absurd, in my opinion, to use huge doses of folate for a folate trap.

That said, it is quite normal to have anxiety due to high doses of methylfolate as it is a precursor of monoaminergic neurotransmitters.

:lol:

Last edited:

Nanni

Yes, low dose vitamin B3- niacin, not niacinamide pulled me out of it in about 30-45 minutes every time. All I needed usually was 25-30mg. If that didn't work in about 45 minutes, I would take another 20-30 mg.[/
Hi Judee :D .. I'm a male :rolleyes::lol:;):p

30 mg of niacin are ok to counteract the excess of methyl groups. It can be repeated every 3 hours, maximum 3 times. No more because b3 is a nutrient itself and as such should be used, and in excess it tends to neutralize all the methyl groups of the organism. An excess of folate should NEVER be contrasted with the b12, if one has taken chronically high doses of b12, unless there is a documented lack of b12.

I've read so many strange things. That a folate trap can be tricked with huge amounts of folate ... that an excess of folate causes inflammation ... these are just speculations not based on biochemical theories. An excess of folates can outgrow its ability to be metabolized and become trapped, hence signs and symptoms that affect the central nervous system and rapidly replicating tissues (primarily skin and gastrointestinal tract), but do not cause inflammation. And it is absurd, in my opinion, to use huge doses of folate for a folate trap.

That said, it is quite normal to have anxiety due to high doses of methylfolate as it is precursor of monoaminergic neurotransmitters.

:lol:
I’m experiencing increasing amount of anxiety lately especially in my stomach. It’s very physical. Not stress related. Im suspicious it’s over methylation. I’m taking a multi methyl by Pure that’s for treating mthfr. I thought it was amazing at first. It’s been great for energy but it’s awful for anxiety. I’m jumping out of my skin and I haven’t even taken it today. I’m having a hard time focusing right now...so sorry I’m trying to understand about methyl traps or how to get the energy benefits of methylation and not the anxiety? This multi has all the cofactors and stuff. I increased the amount somewhat slowly and definitely felt the need to increase to the recommended dose to get the energy benefits. But this is so uncomfortable.

I got my OATS results and I have low VMA, neurotransmitter metabolites. I’m not absorbing norepinephrine etc. due to low b6, how can that be? I’m trying to understand what I need to do. It seems like I need the precursors of monoaminergic neurotransmitters you mentioned, no?

I have taken niacin. I only have the 50 mg capsules which caused me to flushhorribly before. I opened up the capsule today to take less but haven’t noticed any improvement. Does it still work if it’s dissolves in your mouth first? I think my stomach may be worse although lately I’m constantly feel like I’m about to go on stage or something. Uhg.

ljimbo423

I have taken niacin. I only have the 50 mg capsules which caused me to flushhorribly before. I opened up the capsule today to take less but haven’t noticed any improvement. Does it still work if it’s dissolves in your mouth first?

It has always worked for me when I just drop it in my mouth. That shoudn't be a problem.

@Nanni - Cutting back on my methylation supplements always stopped my over-methylation symptoms. It might take a few days to slowly get rid of them.

I would suggest cutting back some and see how you feel. Use a low dose of niacin to help. I only needed 25-30 mg to greatly reduce over-methylation.

Also be aware that if you cut back too much and use too much niacin, you get become under-methylated. Which can also cause anxiety and insomnia but usually causes fatigue and depression like symptoms, instead of the energized, hyper type symptoms that come with over-methylation.

I don't want to complicate things but b-6 in the form of P5P, even at doses of 15-20 mg, I learned, will make me feel very over-methyled. So it might not be just the methylation supps, it could also be a co-factor or it could be a little of both.

I hope this isn't too confusing. Treating methylation can be very tricky.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
YES! Methylfolate made me want to jump out of my skin.

Look into Dr. Chris Masterjohn's methylation protocol.... it is much gentler and seems very effective.