• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antiherpetic drugs: a potential way to prevent Alzheimer’s disease? 2022 Linard

pattismith

Antiherpetic drugs: a potential way to prevent Alzheimer’s disease? | SpringerLink
Linard

Conclusions
Taking at least one systemic Anti Herpes Drug during follow-up was significantly associated with a 15% reduced risk of developing AD, even after taking into account several potential methodological biases. Nevertheless, the low frequency of subjects with a regular intake questions the biological plausibility of this association and highlights the limits of epidemiological data to evaluate a potential protective effect of a regular treatment by systemic AHDs on the incidence of dementia

godlovesatrier

Haha @heapsreal
You should definitely be ok on one front :D

I wonder if the oat bran and reishi combo has a similair efficacy. I still don't think it's potent enough tho :/

But when crashed on famvir the worsening of symptoms is horrendous. I think that's a dosage issue. Which takes us back to potency again....we need new drugs really :/
Upper cost of famvir 500mg 3 x a day would be extremely steep. Not to mention the insomnia which does seem to effect quite a few. But I know not everyone :)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Haha @heapsreal
You should definitely be ok on one front :D

I wonder if the oat bran and reishi combo has a similair efficacy. I still don't think it's potent enough tho :/

But when crashed on famvir the worsening of symptoms is horrendous. I think that's a dosage issue. Which takes us back to potency again....we need new drugs really :/
Upper cost of famvir 500mg 3 x a day would be extremely steep. Not to mention the insomnia which does seem to effect quite a few. But I know not everyone :)

I have reishi in my iherb basket to order next.
With famvir I'm lucky I get it prescribed to me locally so it about $30 a month for 500mg twice a day.
I added echinacea as we come into winter here and herb wise I'm on astragalus, cryptolepis and berberine. I'm trying not to get trapped in taking a million supps unless they are helping.
Tenofovir Alafenamide I'm hoping works better than the older version on Tenofovir and gets me back to functional. If studies are correct and it works on ebv, it should work on other herpes viruses plus I will continue famvir.

pattismith

Intake of at least one systemic AHD during follow-up was significantly associated with a decreased risk of AD and, to a lesser extent with respect to p values, to both dementia from any cause and vascular dementia.

Could it be that Antiherpetic drugs (AHD) lower the Alzheimer risk also by improving insulin sensibility???

This a key study on Acyclovir (AHD) just released in september 2022

Acyclovir, an antiviral nucleotide analog, alleviates insulin resistance by reducing blood lipids as well as oxidative stress and elevating insulin sensitivity on diabetic mice, which is in accord with results in the insulin resistance model of HepG2 cells.

Mechanically, acyclovir stimulates pyruvate kinase M1 (PKM1) directly to activate adenosine 5′-monophosphate (AMP)-activated protein kinase (AMPK)/Sirtuin1 (SIRT1) signaling pathway, thus improving insulin resistance.

Acyclovir alleviates insulin resistance via activating PKM1 in diabetic mice - ScienceDirect

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Could it be that Antiherpetic drugs (AHD) lower the Alzheimer risk also by improving insulin sensibility???

This a key study on Acyclovir (AHD) just released in september 2022

Acyclovir alleviates insulin resistance via activating PKM1 in diabetic mice - ScienceDirect

This is just my very general observation. Those cfsers who seem to have issues with the herpes viruses hsv1/2, varicella, ebv, cmv, hhv6 etc seem to be the one who have problems with getting fat, which can be from poor insulin sensitivity etc.

The cfsers who are generally underweight and have digestive issues etc seem to be in the enterovirus group. Generally speaking aren't going to have issues with insulin resistance.

I'm in the herpes subgroup and find it easy to put weight on and extremely hard to lose weight. The only diet that helps me is low carb type diets that reduce the need for insulin. I'm currently using metformin and the herb berberine which has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity as well as have some anti infection properties.

I can't say antivirals improve insulin resistance and weightloss but I can understand those with herpes infections being insulin resistant and overweight, through my own experience and observations. But I'm just one person and my views.