• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antidepressant withdrawal...

EmJ

Hi All

Was wondering about people's experiences with swapping or stopping antidepressants. Do you think ME/CFS has relevance? Has anyone been able to stop taking an antidepressant after long term use?

I've found the whole process of trying to get off SSRIs caused a ME relapse. Any similar stories?

Thanks
Emma

Nielk

I was put on anti depressants a few years ago and my body reacted really badly. They kept switching to different ones and 1- it never helped me. 2- I had bad reactions to all of them. It took me a long time to get off them completely. It has to be done very slowly. Slower that the normal population.

I, personally also received neurofeedback at the time to help me along.
I know some people on this forum have not had positive experiences with neurofeedback, but for me it's helped a lot.

Good luck,

Nielk

Lala

Yes, it can be very hard. I decreased them very slowly also. I alternated one day on full dose, second day took quarter of tablet off, then again full dose and next day decreased dose. I waited till I stabilized and then continued in decreasing dose. This can be hard even for healthy people, but by this approach you can get totally of them.

IntuneJune

My only experience with antidepressants was over 25 years ago, (I was dx'd 30+ years ago). I did not tolerate them well, and did not believe they offered any help. We all have such personal journies, and each one of us has to evaluate risk/benefit ratio. Mine: I weaned off the med very slowly and have not tried any since.

It is helpful reading other experiences and hope more drop you a post!!!

June

Berthe

I've just tapered of Efexor, counting the miniscule grains inside the 75mg. 5 gwains less each day. 210 Grains in total! It was and still is hell. It seems to worsen my disease, altough I'm sure that people without ME/CFS on Efexor experience the same withdrawal hell, pain, feverish, dizzyness, shocks etc. I'm quit curious how long this will take? My last 5 grains were last monday. Does anybody know how long it takes these side effects to disappear completely?

Love,
Berthe

http://www.onwilliglichaam.blogspot.com

Hi Emma. I have been trying (and failing) at several attempts to wean off prozac. I began taking it in 2003. I wanted to stop taking it in 2008. Each time, I become deathly ill with terrible withdrawls. SEVER sweats, chills, NAUSEA, vomiting, diarhea, dizzy, pain, SHAKY, JUST SO SICK that I go back on it. (I weaned all different ways X4) My last attempt was a month ago, and I really thought it was going to be ok, SILLY ME :) I was taking one dose every 4 days for three weeks, week four I was beyond dysfunctional. SO I would def agree w/u, that the whle process is rather grueling.

EmJ

Wow I guess I was a bit naive and didnt realize what a minefield this whole issue of antidepressants is. Hopefully along with CFS science will get a better handle on these drugs soon! It's just so tricky trying to separate the symptoms of depression and CFS. From my reading I get the feeling that the neurotransmitters targeted by these drugs (particularly serotonin) play a big role in the autonomic nervous system which of course seems to be often dysregulated in CFS?

Anyway seems like you need to cut the dose SLOWLY! Maybe the dissolvable tablets would make that easier?

Nielk hadnt heard of neurofeedback - looked it up on wiki - sounds interesting but expensive?

Berthe when I was taking Efexor missing 1 dose was bad enough :p