• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibodies

Since the onset of my illness in 2006, I test positive for CMV IgM and IgG. Over a dozen tests, and they are always positive. However, it was brought to my attention (Dec 2016) by a Cedars-Sinai rheumatologist specializing in Lupus that a positive antibody test does NOT prove an active infection. He said that an active infection can only be proved with a PCR test to detect viral DNA- and my PCR was negative for viral replication.

Of note- I took Valcyte (along with numerous other natural antivirals) for 12 months with no change in symptoms or lab tests of CMV.

Thoughts?

ljimbo423

I've seen at least several posts here of people that have high viral or bacterial titers but are PCR negative and/or don't respond to treatment.

It seems to me that the immune system dysfunction in CFS often causes these high titers, without any actual reactivation's. It also looks like a PCR test is an accurate test for CMV-

Polymerase Chain Reaction Amplification
Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a widely available rapid and sensitive method of CMV detection based on amplification of nucleic acids.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3730495/

Pearshaped

@ehc918 thank you for sharing this i have the same problem but haven't been put on antivirals up to now.i was always wondering if high antibodies mean viral reactivation.so you ve answered my question.hope you'll find something else that helps! cheers

@Pearshaped (OMG I love that screen name😂)

It very well may mean reactivation- I’ve read some info (not sure how accurate) that sometimes viruses are “hidden” in tissue and not represented in blood. I’m going to get mine tested again just to see where I’m at. Are your antibodies elevated for CMV as well???

Pearshaped

oh okay..puh all this stiff is so complicated.No,in my case no CMV but HHV6,EBV and ParovirusB19.
what are you going to do since antivirals didn't work?

doc suggested also anti-v.(tenofovir)but another doc told me theres no reactivation in my case.so i am still clueless what to do.am afrai this makes things worse.have puzzled still