• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti nausea meds and long COVID

Wayne

Hi @kmiki7 -- Thanks for your replies. I was taking Armour thyroid and Cortef at the time I took the Promethazine, and am still taking both of them. My hyperacusis started many years before taking it, though I don't know exactly why. Could have been part of "post-concussion" syndrome, an ear infection I had in my early 20's, some TMJ issues, and/or possibly just having ME/CFS, which often leads to sound sensitivity.

I did see that post on TPP, and did give it a try. Didn't really notice a difference. I also tried some coenzymated B Vitamins, including B1, and also didn't notice a big difference. I regularly take Benfotiamine, a fat soluable form of Vit. B1.

Have you ever looked into choline supplements? How is your diet? Are you eating enough choline?

When I first got my tinnitus, I immediately thought of doing what I could to increase my acethylcholine levels. I ate a LOT of egg yolks, and probably some other supplements. I also began taking Huperzine A, which breaks down the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine in the body. It gave me a noticeable increase in cognitive function, so I believe it increased acetylcholine levels in my brain and neurological system.

At this point, I don't think (could be wrong however) that my ongoing tinnitus is due to overall acetylcholine levels in my body. I'm open to the possiblity there may be localized areas that are acetylcholine deficient, such as the inner ears, which I've heard have acetylcholine receptors. Because of that, I tend to believe my tinnitus resulted from catastrophic depletion of acetylcholine in my ears, and either caused permanent damage, or were left in a state where they're unable to restore optimal levels.

Last edited:
Hi @kmiki7 -- Thanks for your replies. I was taking Armour thyroid and Cortef at the time I took the Promethazine, and am still taking both of them. My hyperacusis started many years before taking it, though I don't know exactly why. Could have been part of "post-concussion" syndrome, an ear infection I had in my early 20's, some TMJ issues, and/or possibly just having ME/CFS, which often leads to sound sensitivity.

I did see that post on TPP, and did give it a try. Didn't really notice a difference. I also tried some coenzymated B Vitamins, including B1, and also didn't notice a big difference. I regularly take Benfotiamine, a fat soluable form of Vit. B1.

When I first got my tinnitus, I immediately thought of doing what I could to increase my acethylcholine levels. I ate a LOT of egg yolks, and probably some other supplements. I also began taking Huperzine A, which breaks down the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine in the body. It gave me a noticeable increase in cognitive function, so I believe it increased acetylcholine levels in my brain and neurological system.

At this point, I don't think (could be wrong however) that my ongoing tinnitus is due to overall acetylcholine levels in my body. I'm open to the possiblity there may be localized areas that are acetylcholine deficient, such as the inner ears, which I've heard have acetylcholine receptors. Because of that, I tend to believe my tinnitus resulted from catastrophic depletion of acetylcholine in my ears, and either caused permanent damage, or were left in a state where they're unable to restore optimal levels.

Hi @Wayne , thank you for your reply! Yes, I see now that you've been down these research directions before. Sorry for maybe giving you false hopes.

Has your tinnitus improved at all though? You mentioned it has gotten better since the very beginning, maybe it's just very slowly getting better? I know it can take years. Mine is mostly hissing and it's not bothersome now for the most part, although I could hardly sleep for the first month. Now I can almost fully ignore it except my ears get tight if I take any meds or supplements.

Have you tried a low salt diet? I suspect that what we have is hydrops - an imbalance in inner ear fluid, which is responsive to low sodium. Do your ears tighten? Or any wet warm feeling in ears? Have you tried diuretics?

Also you mentioned trying B1 and other coenzymated B vitamins, were b5 and b6 among them? Have you seen this thread on the Meniers forum - seems like a lot of people found success with b5+b6 , both of which are also necessary for acetylcholine.

https://menieres.org/forums/threads/my-b5-b6-log.3302/

From my research, to support acetylcholine you need choline, folate, b1, B2, B3, b5 and b6.

Sorry if you'd rather not think or hear about all this stuff. It's tough when you ve tried everything.

I do hope it's only temporary, the story of the guy who has had it for 30 years and then gotten rid of it tells me that most likely these things are temporary. Whn my tinnitus happened, I also got severe dry eyes and mouth, and that went away, which I think is related to the restoration of acetylcholine levels. You mentioned on Tinnitus forum that you visual snow went away after eating lots of eggs = choline.

Ears have notoriously slow recovery and poor blood supply, so it might take more time, plus if your diet is deficient or you are on other meds that deplete acetylcholine, the recovery will be slowed down.

Anyway I hope for the best for both of us, don't feel pressure to respond please if you'd rather drop this whole thing :)) I just thought I'd share those other few tidbits that I found.

Wayne

Mine is mostly hissing and it's not bothersome now for the most part, although I could hardly sleep for the first month. Now I can almost fully ignore it except my ears get tight if I take any meds or supplements.

Hi @kmiki7 -- That's great that your tinnitus is not so bothersome for you. Your mentioning that meds or supplements can make it harder to ignore concerns me a bit. It seems that once a person has tinnitus, they remain vulnerable to loud noises and other things that can make it worse. Meds especially is one of those.

If you're looking at trying a new med, you may want to do some online searching to see if it has the potential to cause or worsen tinnitus. And even if you don't find information that says it does, you still may want to start out any new med slowly and cautiously. I've learned that great diligence is key to not having things get worse.

Take care!