• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anaesthesia Q

R.Little

Writer/Musician
Hi! I have pretty severe ME (95% bedbound). Got it in 2013 gradually, abruptly became severe in Dec of 2018, only had mild improvements since then.

I currently have a painful prolapsed internal hemorrhoid, and I'm scheduled to get it examined and possibly banded on Monday morning.

Occasionally, this requires general anesthesia, but most likely, local anaesthesia will suffice.

I've read about other folks on PR having issues with both local and general anaesthesia. Are there any ways to mitigate the potential negative effects of anaesthesia on ME?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've read about other folks on PR having issues with both local and general anaesthesia. Are there any ways to mitigate the potential negative effects of anaesthesia on ME?
If you have a local anesthetic consider asking them not to use anything with epinephrine as most of us are sensitive to it. I had a deep surgical procedure where they used lidocaine without epinephrine and it was fine. I have also had full anesthesia several times and though it is much harder to get over, I didn’t have any lasting side-effects.

R.Little

Writer/Musician
If you have a local anesthetic consider asking them not to use anything with epinephrine as most of us are sensitive to it. I had a deep surgical procedure where they used lidocaine without epinephrine and it was fine. I have also had full anesthesia several times and though it is much harder to get over, I didn’t have any lasting side-effects.

Thanks! I use lidocaine ointment frequently, and it's certainly not an issue for me, so that's a good idea.

I wonder if sensitivity to epinephrine is an MCAS thing? I've been tested twice for MCAS and came up negative both times.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I wonder if sensitivity to epinephrine is an MCAS thing? I've been tested twice for MCAS and came up negative both times.
Most of those of us react to it get an unpleasant overstimulation of the autonomic nervous system—dental injections used to make me quite sick until I figured out that it was the epinephrine that bothered me. Now anytime I need a lidocaine injection I ask for one without epinephrine. The only downside is that without epinephrine the injection doesn’t last as long so they sometimes have to give a second injection. Also, epinephrine helps prevent bruising—but a bit of bruising is nothing compared to a bad reaction.

Booble

Maybe let the anesthesiologist know? My experience is similar to Sushi's in that it took longer to "come out" of it with general anesthesia but there was no lasting problem.

Good luck with the procedure!

R.Little

Writer/Musician
Ended up not needing a procedure after all! But I did add "Sensitive to Epinephrine" to my charts, just in case.
Thanks!