• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Update on ME/CFS Research with Ronald W. Davis, PhD

frozenborderline

I would rather try injecting pyruvate than eating ATP or bathing in it, as far as I know it has no other usage in the body than an intermediate energy molecule
ATP is not orally bioavailable. Injections of it produce some severe cardiac symptoms. I don't think messing with the "energy currency" of the body as a drug in-and-of-itself is a good idea... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12381087
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9840701

This brings me to wonder if there are dangers to any of the other supplements that affect aspects of cellular respiration. one benefit is that taking an intermediate as part of a rate-limited reaction *seems* like it would be safer

boolybooly

Based on my own experience I take the view that my CFIDS metabolic reaction is part of a complex immune response and it exists for a reason. In my case I have evident recurring viruses in a cycle of 20-60 days.

If I mess with my metabolism while unable to address the cause of changes in metabolism (I have tried some antivirals but none have been successful) I am fighting and undermining my own immune response, which has repercussions. In my case if I try to boost my metabolism it shortens my viral recurrence cycle.

My guess is that the metabolism changes from mitochondrial to plasma reactions to decentralise energy production so that logistics of localised viral replication are obstructed, in much the same way that we raise our temperature to fight viruses, because we can take it but it slows them down and gives us the edge.

If you try to correct the metabolic change without countering the viruses it is a response to then the viruses proliferate. It is just papering over the cracks and long term is not sustainable and IMHO it will just make things worse.

I need for someone to find out why my immune system is failing and why these viruses are proliferating.

Last edited:

frozenborderline

Based on my own experience I take the view that my CFIDS metabolic reaction is part of a complex immune response and it exists for a reason. In my case I have evident recurring viruses in a cycle of 20-60 days.

If I mess with my metabolism while unable to address the cause of changes in metabolism (I have tried some antivirals but none have been successful) I am fighting and undermining my own immune response, which has repercussions. In my case if I try to boost my metabolism it shortens my viral recurrence cycle.

My guess is that the metabolism changes from mitochondrial to plasma reactions to decentralise energy production so that logistics of localised viral replication are obstructed, in much the same way that we raise our temperature to fight viruses, because we can take it but it slows them down and gives us the edge.

If you try to correct the metabolic change without countering the viruses it is a response to then the viruses proliferate. It is just papering over the cracks and long term is not sustainable and IMHO it will just make things worse.

I need for someone to find out why my immune system is failing and why these viruses are proliferating.

this is one of my initial concerns with messing with the kreb's cycle/cellular respiration.

at the same time I think I feel desperate enough to try. I don't know that I have active viruses. I wish we could have another AMA with ron to see what he thinks about the likelihood of active viral infections being the cause. From a patient standpoint it really makes a big deal whether the issue is primarily metabolic or that is a secondary effect of an active virus--you're right about that.