• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amy Dockser Marcus - 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Beat Reporting (Sensing Progress!!!)

muffin

One of our observant folks, Sensing Progress, found this on the "CFS Patient Advocate" site. "CFS Patient Advocate did a write-up on Amy Docker Marcus - http://www.cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.com/ This post by SP got buried down deep and I thought it needed its own post. Hope that's OK with SP!

As SP stated and I felt the same: "For some reason when I first saw her articles on the WSJ site I just assumed she was a low-level web editor making some blog posts. But that is absolutely not the case. She is actually a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist!"

I too thought this was a young woman who was super smart, astute, articulate and knew a good story when she heard one. Well, her photo looks like a young woman but WOW! what she has done in her life is amazing!! Go read what Patient Advocate has found on this amazing woman. She did win a Pulitzer in 2005 for Beat Reporting (and he gives the articles a link to read). She has also written two books - heavy duty books that I plan on buying for my husband.

Just a few interesting paragraphs from his site so you all will go and read this blog- "What I found in Google was remarkable. Amy Dockser Marcus, a reporter at The Wall Street Journal, was awarded the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Beat Reporting for her coverage of the physical, monetary and emotional costs of cancer. The list of her articles that lead to this award can be found here.

At this point her background gets even more interesting. Amy Dockser Marcus has written two books. The first one, published in 1997, is The View from Nebo: How Archeology Is Rewriting the Bible and Reshaping the Middle East. The second, Jerusalem 1913 - Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict, which I immediately purchased, is here. A compelling interview with the author, here, tells you all that you need to know about the journalistic impulses of this woman. Read it.

Politics aside, the subjects of her books matches her interest in CFS/ME (and other unknown illnesses). In both cases you have situations where people's decisions, calculated or not, have profound implications on future events, and suddenly the subject becomes complex and difficult from all sides. It takes a bit of research to try to figure out what has happened, how things have gotten to this state and how one might get out of the problem. CFS/ME is a perfect conundrum for Amy Dockser Marcus -and the best thing about it is that there now is a "way out" of this illness. Amy Dockser Marcus is well poised to help in this regard and win herself another Pulitzer.

Amy Dockser Marcus has latched onto CFS/ME. This does not seem to be random. This reporter has the complexity and clarity to follow up on the story and report the main points with accuracy and compassion. CFS/ME is sorely in need of such journalistic objectivity. By nature, Amy is attracted to complex issues requiring both emphathy and detachment, two qualities needed to get at the heart of complex issues. These few articles in the WSJ have done more to advance the cause of CFS/ME patients than any other journalistic writing that I have seen, excepting of course those of Hillary Johnson, another remarkable gal."
(By Patient Advocate - hope he isn't mad at me for this).

I think we all knew this was a very smart person who could smell a rotten stink and was following it, but how many of us knew she had already won a Pulitzer five years ago? Just having Ms. Marcus on our story tells me that she too knows that something is so very, very wrong with CFIDS research/funding, XMRV (the other Retrovirus found at around the time of HIV) and the whole sordid CDC and Federal health care system story that has gone on for 30 years.

Thank God we have this woman looking into the CFIDS/XMRV story! I suggest that we continue to be gracious and to provide to her information that is of value to her in writing her stories and in digging deeper into the CDC/Federal Health Care System and the Health Insurance industry. The Wall Street Journal is about MONEY. OK, with our story it IS money and tons and tons of money involved. So, get her the best stuff you can. And continue to thank her for being on "our side". We also need to make it clear that she is helping the rest of the millions of people out there who are not yet sick/about to be sick because of XMRV -- while our governments continue to play down this very deadly Retrovirus and its affects on the sick and the "still healthies" in the rest of the populations worldwide.

So again, thank you Sensing Progress for finding the great blog by the Patient Advocate.
Have to get this guy with a sick daughter on our site here as well.

sensing progress

So again, thank you Sensing Progress for finding the great blog by the Patient Advocate.
Have to get this guy with a sick daughter on our site here as well. [/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm surprised no one else had mentioned it. I folllow the CFS Patient Advocate blog pretty closely. Btw, I'm pretty sure Chris, the guy who does the blog, is also a member on here.

muffin

I have read Patient Advocates blogs many times

But you caught this one!

Glad to hear this great blogger is on our site!