• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ampligen and WPI

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Ampligen and WPI article

Anyone (imready? weldman?) care to post some of the important points from this article for some of us (for me) who are getting overwhelmed with SO MUCH INFO? You could even add smilies if you want!

hvs

a clinical study entitled "Therapeutic Activation of NK lymphocytes to
Alleviate Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
"

Fascinating, indeed.

A

Aftermath

Hemispherx Biopharma

If Hemispherx Biopharma is involved, I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Although many prominent physicians who treat this illness have some very positive things to say about Ampligen, there is almost universal disdain for the company that makes it. The most common assessment is that these guys are "the gang that can't shoot straight."

Hopefully, the WPI news is going to bring some more established and successful pharmaceutical firms into the game here.

K

_Kim_

condensed version for gracenote

Interpretation: Hemispherx is collaborating with WPI on a new study about activation of NK lymphocytes in CFS treatment. They promised to answer all FDA queries on Ampligen in Nov. and Dec.

;) The Company plans to widen its ongoing clinical programs in CFS by accelerating collaborations with a consortium of researchers who have just discovered a retroviral link to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome :)

:eek: With the consortium of researchers at the Whittemore Peterson Institute, the Company is also now evaluating the defect in immunosurveillance in specific subsets of CFS patients in a clinical study entitled "Therapeutic Activation of NK lymphocytes to Alleviate Chronic Fatigue Syndrome." These immune defects may be due to the previously undetected retrovirus. :p

:D The Company also plans to complete all outstanding queries from the FDA regarding its New Drug Application (NDA) for Ampligen(R), an experimental therapeutic, during November and December, 2009. :cool:

A

Aftermath

FDA Questions

Interpretation: Hemispherx is collaborating with WPI on a new study about activation of NK lymphocytes in CFS treatment. They promised to answer all FDA queries on Ampligen in Nov. and Dec.

::yawn::

I'll believe it when I see it. Here's to hoping that someone buys this company and flushes the management.

PoetInSF

If I were WPI, I'd stay away from Hemispherx that's been known for various ethical lapses. Clinical trials for Ampligen, a drug in search of disease, have been going on for years, and I'd guess they are only trying to take advantage of the publicity surrounding xmrv.

Jim

ampligen & xmrv

just thought i would add that i was on ampligen for 9 months. it did not help. it gave me fevers after each treatment, which i took that to mean it was stimulating a part of my immune system, but to no avail.

i also am positive for xmrv active infection.

i don't want to dash anyone's hopes, as ampligen has helped some. but not me.

cheers,

jim

Hysterical Woman

Ampligen/XMRV infection

just thought i would add that i was on ampligen for 9 months. it did not help. it gave me fevers after each treatment, which i took that to mean it was stimulating a part of my immune system, but to no avail.

i also am positive for xmrv active infection.

i don't want to dash anyone's hopes, as ampligen has helped some. but not me.

cheers,

jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear that the ampligen did not help you. I took it for 3 months, but had to drop out because of side effects.

Can you share where you were tested for XMRV?

Thanks,

Maxine

Jim

maxine,

i know of a few others who had to drop out of the ampligen trial for side-effects too.

as for xmrv, i was tested by the w.p.i.

jim

Hysterical Woman

XMRV positive test

as for xmrv, i was tested by the w.p.i.

jim

Thanks for the information, Jim. If you have tested positive for XMRV then, what is the next step for you? Please forgive me if you have posted that information already on another thread could you direct me there?

Thanks,

Maxine

Jim

not famous

Cool, were you from the cohort presented for Science?

no, sorry to say i'm not one of the immortals in the ground breaking group mentioned in Science. i was tested later on. but, i may be in the group that the wpi refers to when they mention follow-on testing and finding high infection rates, so that's still something, i guess. ;)

jim

Hysterical Woman

It's a BIG something!

no, sorry to say i'm not one of the immortals in the ground breaking group mentioned in Science. i was tested later on. but, i may be in the group that the wpi refers to when they mention follow-on testing and finding high infection rates, so that's still something, i guess. ;)

jim

LOL, I guess it is all in how you look at it, but I think that is a BIG something! I just hope that you (and all of us) find some treatment paths out of all of this.

Good Luck,

Maxine

Jim

xmrv treatment

Thanks for the information, Jim. If you have tested positive for XMRV then, what is the next step for you? Please forgive me if you have posted that information already on another thread could you direct me there?

Thanks,

Maxine

i am on hold as far as treatments. i think i read that nancy klimas is already treating some patients who have xmrv, tho not sure which drug she is using. my doctor is not yet ready to take a stab at treating xmrv, so i am keeping an eye open for any treatment trials. in the meantime, i am taking advil (an NSAIDs) for xmrv-related inflammation.

cheers.

Hysterical Woman

XMRV Treatments/Aleve

i am on hold as far as treatments. i think i read that nancy klimas is already treating some patients who have xmrv, tho not sure which drug she is using. my doctor is not yet ready to take a stab at treating xmrv, so i am keeping an eye open for any treatment trials. in the meantime, i am taking advil (an NSAIDs) for xmrv-related inflammation.

cheers.

Hi Jim,

Let's hope that something that Klimas is doing will appeal to you and your doctor soon.

I am taking Aleve - it really helps.

Take care,

Maxine

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Hemispherex was, and I believe, and had stated that they had already resolved all of these issues along time ago. Like others, I'll believe it when I see it.

dannybex

I agree...

If I were WPI, I'd stay away from Hemispherx that's been known for various ethical lapses. Clinical trials for Ampligen, a drug in search of disease, have been going on for years, and I'd guess they are only trying to take advantage of the publicity surrounding xmrv.

It's quite remarkable that Hemispherx is even still in business. The company issued press releases announcing that FDA approval would happen in the next 2-3 months, which reports now suggest was a complete lie, and perhaps done to boost the dangerously low price of the stock.

It went from something like 35 cents to over $4.50 a share, so he knew what he was doing. But anyone who invested based on those lies, is now holding shares worth $1.20.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10620979/1/hemispherx-cops-to-ampligen-fda-delay.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

While it has temporarily helped some, it is unfortunately made by a company that has huge problems. I read somewhere that stockholders are considering a class-action suit against the CEO.

I know it has made a huge difference, albeit temporary, for some people, but Poet is basically right when calling it 'a drug in search of a disease'...

sigh.