• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

amazing recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
The human body is amazing when given the opportunity to thrive. I have spoken to multiple people whom have changed their spinal health, neck health (mri's) and bloodwork etc from neuroplasticity. Norman Doidge has a great book on it. It was on PBS years ago.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
why are we dismissing all the people that neuroplasticity is helping? It is so bizarre to me how many of you on this thread are so eager to prove neuroplasticity could not possibly work. This seems like the opposite direction of progress towards ending suffering from this horriible illness.

pamojja

With all respect @sunshine44. I do believe mental development crucial for increasing happyness, but it might not work to heal any disease for reasons completely unrelated.

Couldn't it simply be because many people desperate tried and it didn't work?

Last edited by a moderator:

JES

I am not reading testomonials. I have talked on the phone with multiple people/friends whom are much better.

Good, but this is still hearsay evidence to us, which is even worse than anecdotal evidence. Why don't you invite your friends here and they can present exactly what their disease was, what exact treatment they used and for how long and how much they moved up on the ME/CFS severity scales? That way we have at least a little more to go by.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
When you are better you are mostly not hanging out on health boards. There are many resources and avenues of people whom have recovered and how people are sharing their stories. Feel free to research and contact people on your own. There are thousands of them.

That is the thing Norman Doidge talks about in his book, there is this incorrect assumption that neuroplasticity = mental health. That does not seem to be what researchers are finding. The exact point I keep trying to convey. So many of us have our eyes focused on an expectation of a cure/outcome, when in plain sight thousands of people are experiencing benefits of neuroplasticity yet we look away....keep dismissing it as desperation or a lone wolf case.

used_to_race

Untrue. I have Gupta. It is not an additional $50 a year.

Ugh, you're wrong. It is an additional $50 a year. From the site:

gupta.png

I am not reading testomonials. I have talked on the phone with multiple people/friends whom are much better.

The ME/CFS community can only keep ignoring these cases and calling them sporadic for so long.

For every "friend who got better" there are dozens on here and IRL who have tried stuff like this and feel like they were scammed. Why is it that none of these people have published their methodologies in the scientific literature, or subjected their techniques to broader scientific study? How come they don't seem to have any understanding of the underlying mechanisms at play? If they made their work public they could help millions of people instead of just those with the means to pay them - and surely a remunerative tenure-track post at a top university would follow due to their forthcoming scientific reputation.

When you are better you are mostly not hanging out on health boards.

I improved dramatically with a handful of treatments that my postings on here detail. a year and a half ago I was pretty much unable to exercise except for walks here and there, I had almost no social life, and I was often missing work. Now I am working full-time without much issue, exercising almost daily (including competitive soccer and mountain biking), and have a satisfying social and dating life. I still have constant symptoms and bad days, so it's not all perfect. I come back here not only to stay abreast of the research, but also because I care about this community and want us all to get better from advances in medicine through scientific research - the only way most of us will ever see meaningful improvement. These will be the treatments developed on top of the foundations laid by Dr. Davis and his collaborators, along with the broader scientific community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.