• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

amantadine

xrayspex

Hey, I am xmrv+ and took small amount of liquid amantadine last week, like 25-50ml a day, then stopped cus started to get insomnia, but it seemed to improve my oxygen hunger problem a bit and also sort of take the edge off a flare I was in

I am impressed

anyone know much about it in relation to retrovirus' stuff?

its cheap and pretty safe and old, I have bad mcs, its easier than artesunate or valtrex or inosine or wormwood for me......

I will probly pulse it

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
It is somewhat of an immune booster and was used a good bit a few years ago as it was good to take at flu onset. It did appear to have some side effects. Tamiflu showed up on the scenes and kind of blew the wind out of amantidines sails. I thought I had read that it boost immmunity through increasing dopamine levels somehow.

ukxmrv

Hi XRay,

I have ordered some from an online pharmacy but yet to try it again. In the late 80's I was prescribed Amantadine by a UK NHS doctor. I had terrible insomnia plus a severe "speeding" sensation. I was unable to cope and gave up within a week. It didn't calm down.

Read somewhere recently that Dr Klimas was trying it on her patients. I'll let you know how I react this time if I get the courage to try some.

C

Cloud

Amantadine also has some positive effects on the "no-oono" problem. Don't recall the exact mechanism of action.

xrayspex

yes I read that about no o no too, nmda inhibitor i think?

ukxmrv, I am very mcs that is why I got the liquid form, did you try taking a miniscule amount? .25 mg is very small amount, you could go lower than that and pulse it. I feel better this week for having taken it last week although I was starting to feel the insomnia and sort of shut down verbally on it but when went off felt better than I have in a month, so that makes me think pulse it or take even less than .25-50 mg a day, which will be gettng towards homeopathic dose....

serg1942

I wish we could read this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2148761

It is usually prescribed for fatigue in MS (No idea what kind of fatigue though...I don't think the same as in CFS...).

I know memantine, a similar, newer and veeeeeeery expensive drug (at least in Spain), has antiretroviral effects, and it seems it is working fairly well on some autistic children...I wonder whether amantadine has similar properties...

Sergio

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I wish we could read this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2148761

Sergio

I believe KDM gives it to some patients -- don't know more. Maybe someone "with access" could put the above article in the research library here?

J Neurosci Nurs. 1990 Dec;22(6):338.
Amantadine hydrochloride in HIV treatment.
Carroll VS.

Comment on:

J Neurosci Nurs. 1990 Oct;22(5):322-5.
PMID: 2148761 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sushi

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I remembered where I had last heard of this used. The Hunter-Hopkins Center recommends its use as an alternative to patients that don't tolerate the flu vaccine very well.