• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative to antibiotics for dental procedure?

chilove

Hi all, I have to have an infected tooth extracted and the biological/holistic dentist I see is ok with me substituting something alternative/natural instead of prescribed antibiotics due to me not tolerating antibiotics due to MCAS. I'm looking for suggestions for natural systemic antimicrobials. I already take monolaurin and it apparently has not been enough. I'm considering berberine, garlic, and maybe cryptoleptis. I don't do well with oil of oregano. I think it's just too strong. I have chronic Lyme and it makes me herx really bad. Luckily I have a month to prepare and build up slowly to whatever I end up taking.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I don't recommend skipping the antibiotics. You can just recolonize with a few days of probiotic enema after you stop the drugs and they are out of your system.

chilove

I don't recommend skipping the antibiotics. You can just recolonize with a few days of probiotic enema after you stop the drugs and they are out of your system.

I don't trust that. Antibiotics can wipe out entire strains that are not commercially available. I hate the idea of taking an antibiotic "just in case". It doesn't make any sense to me.

pamojja

You can just recolonize with a few days of probiotic enema after you stop the drugs

Can't work. Westerners have up to about 1000 different gut bacteria species. Traditionally living people like the Hadza or formerly uncontacted Yanomani, 2000 to 4000 respectively. There are no probiotics who replace anything but a few Bifidos or Lactobacillus, which might not even have been there in one's particular microbiome before an Antibiotic.

However, one's own faecal transplant from before taking the Antibiotic could probably work.

I have to have an infected tooth extracted and the biological/holistic dentist I see is ok with me substituting something alternative/natural instead of prescribed antibiotics

Had my only root-canal treated tooth extracted 3 years ago. Instead of the precautionary prescribed Antibiotic I took a 50% DSMO mouthwash. Already the next day had to search the new tooth-gap with my toungh, because of absolutly no pain left. Of course, there is no guarantee the same would work for you.

frozenborderline

Hi all, I have to have an infected tooth extracted and the biological/holistic dentist I see is ok with me substituting something alternative/natural instead of prescribed antibiotics due to me not tolerating antibiotics due to MCAS. I'm looking for suggestions for natural systemic antimicrobials. I already take monolaurin and it apparently has not been enough. I'm considering berberine, garlic, and maybe cryptoleptis. I don't do well with oil of oregano. I think it's just too strong. I have chronic Lyme and it makes me herx really bad. Luckily I have a month to prepare and build up slowly to whatever I end up taking.
You don't tolerate a single class of antibiotics?

frozenborderline

I understand mcas and that peoples sensitivity to various chemicals varies chemical to chemical. So monolaurin could be tolerated and penicillin isn't. However I would suggest that a compound being "natural" doesn't mean it is automatically in some different category than synthetic compounds. So maybe you should experiment with some different synthetic antibiotics as well as "natural" ones until you find one you tolerate. Some antibiotics are relatively gentle.

Rufous McKinney

My husband has had numerous tooth issues and never takes the antibiotics. He has never had any problems. He tends to not get stuff easiliy and has a very good immune system. So there is that.

My dentist did a couple of extractions wherein my tooth was not in good shape...and did not ever give me antibiotics, he said they weren't necessary.

Sometimes specific antbiotics don't exactly affect, say the Gut. You might look into that. I had to take- one..for a cyst and it seemed to have no effects on my gut.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Thyme is strong against a lot of bacteria. We make it into a dark tea in the crockpot and then drink a small amount diluted with water throughout the day.

Also garlic is potent but should be eating fresh not cooked for the best strength. We use organic because the inorganic onion and garlic is heavily treated with fungicides or some chemical that we are sensitive to.

The only thing is is if you are needing the antibiotic because of a heart condition, I would find an antibiotic that you can tolerate. I've heard of people dying because they didn't follow the doctor's instructions to take the antibiotic before the dental work and then the infection went to their heart.

frozenborderline

i dont really think that theres a line between natural and synthetic antibitiocs given that penicillin is basically a type of mold, and that plants are doing chemical synthesis when they come up with various types of alkaloids or terpenes in them

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Can't work. Westerners have up to about 1000 different gut bacteria species. Traditionally living people like the Hadza or formerly uncontacted Yanomani, 2000 to 4000 respectively. There are no probiotics who replace anything but a few Bifidos or Lactobacillus, which might not even have been there in one's particular microbiome before an Antibiotic.

Nonsense. You don't need hundreds of species, just the main good ones.

pamojja

You don't need hundreds of species, just the main good ones.

All microbiome tests I've seen contained hundrets of gut bacteria not commercially available as probiotic.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18476-8 mentions the following bacteria as part of a healthy microbiome:
Alistipes senegalensis
Bacteroidales bacterium ph8
Bifidobacterium adolescentis
Bifidobacterium angulatum
Bifidobacterium catenulatum
Lachnospiraceae bacterium 8_1_57FAA
Sutterella wadsworthensis

https://blog.thryveinside.com/top-10-probiotic-bacteria/ mentions these:
Akkermansia
Alistipes
Bacteroides
Bifidobacterium
Blautia
Eubacterium
Faecalibacterium
Lactobacillus
Roseburia
Ruminococcus

GI Map these:
Firmicutes
Bacteroidetes
Bacteroides fragilis
Bifidobacterium spp.
Enterococcus spp.
Lactobacillus spp.
Clostridia spp.
Enterobacter spp.
Akkermansia muciniphila
Faecalibacterium prausnitzii

And https://microbiomeprescription.wordpress.com/videos/jason-hawrelak-criteria-for-healthy-gut/ suggests ranges in healthy individual:

Genera (or Species) - ideal %
Bacteroides spp. <20
Faecalibacterium prausnitzii >10-15
Eubacterium spp. up to 15
Roseburia spp. 10-15%
Ruminococcus spp. up to 15
Blautia spp. 5-10%
Total butyrate producer percentage >40
Bifidobacterium spp. >2,5-5
Akkermansia spp. 1-3%
Lactobacillus spp. 0.01-1
Escherichia coli <0.1
Methanobrevibacter spp. ~0.01
Bilophila wadsworthia <0.25
Desulfovibrio spp. <0.25

Only Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus is commercially available, but will together only replace 6%, at the most. And interestingly the microbiome of the Hadza tribe still containing up to 2000 species, doesn't even contain any Bifido or Lacto.

I had IV Vitamin C during extractions! If your doctor is holistic, then he should be able to add this to the mix...