• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Altered GABAB- and cholinergic neurotransmission (brain fog after mild covid) 2021

pattismith

Fatigue and “brain fog” in the aftermath of mild COVID-19: A neuropsychological and TMS study - Journal of the Neurological Sciences (jns-journal.com)

Paola Ortelli 2021

Results
Patients reported high level of perceived fatigue, exertion and “brain fog”. MOCA and FAB highlighted poorer performances in patients than HS. At computerized tasks, both, sustained and executive attention were impaired. Patients presented higher RMTs, lower MEPs amplitude and longer SPs, as compared to HS, concurring with a reduced M1 excitability. LICI and SAI were impaired, indicating altered GABAB- and cholinergic neurotransmission.

Conclusions
Overall, our results demonstrate, in long COVID-19, an important link between fatigue, “brain fog” and central nervous system dysfunctions, characterized by frontal lobe cognitive impairments and altered neurotransmission.

pattismith

Oxybate, a drug that improves cataplexy and excessive daytime sleepiness in narcolepsy, is a GABAB agonist.

GABAB activation also supress Gastrooesophageal reflux, chronic cough, and supress TLR4 activation in diabetic rats

Some antidepressants seem to have GABAB stimulation

Effect of antidepressants on GABA(B) receptor function and subunit expression in rat hippocampus | Request PDF (researchgate.net)

1659257070100.png

Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, and Sodium Oxybates Oral Solution: A Lower-Sodium Alternative for Cataplexy or Excessive Daytime Sleepiness Associated with Narcolepsy - PMC (nih.gov)

Activation of GABAB Receptor Suppresses Diabetic Neuropathic Pain through Toll-Like Receptor 4 Signaling Pathway in the Spinal Dorsal Horn - PMC (nih.gov)

Targeting the GABAB Receptors for the Treatment of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Chronic Cough | SpringerLink

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..

pattismith

All hell will break loose if they start prescribing GHB (Sodium Oxybate) for long covid patients.

Oxybate is authorized for Narcolepsy: no doc will precribe it for long covid.... even though it has already shown to help ADHD people.

hapl808

GABAB activation also supress Gastrooesophageal reflux, chronic cough, and supress TLR4 activation in diabetic rats

Interesting because almost all my worst PEM episodes (particularly ones triggered by mental exertion) are preceded by awful reflux and coughing and I cannot figure out how to stop it.

frozenborderline

Oxybate is authorized for Narcolepsy: no doc will precribe it for long covid.... even though it has already shown to help ADHD people.
Interesting. I always thought that gaba and glutamate are important to me/cfs , really important. I had ghb once after I was sick. Actually twice. Like phenibut in most ways actually. And phenibut is available without a prescription