• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ALS linked to Cyanobacteria and HERV-K

Martin aka paused||M.E.

This video is not about ME but I think there are some overlaps between ALS and ME as we speak of triggers.

I'm happy to see that more and more research points to pathogens as the root cause of chronic diseases.

Here it's about cyanobacteria - that might be of interest to you @frozenborderline - and HERV-K found by the brilliant Dr. Nath - that is more of interest for me personally.

As I also have a letal myopathy which started with worsening of my ME, I'm positive for CB4 and my IFN results show mRNA expression of IFNs linked to persistent EV infection + I'm positive for several mycotoxins.

Here is the video

Hip

So the toxin beta-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA) which is found in cyanobacteria is a risk factor for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). And also HERV-K is involved.

But he does not mention anything about the enterovirus connection to ALS, which the following studies focus on:
Sequences specific for enterovirus detected in spinal cord from patients with motor neurone disease

Cerebrospinal fluid detection of enterovirus genome in ALS: a study of 242 patients and 354 controls

Enteroviral Infection: The Forgotten Link to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis?

frozenborderline

This video is not about ME but I think there are some overlaps between ALS and ME as we speak of triggers.

I'm happy to see that more and more research points to pathogens as the root cause of chronic diseases.

Here it's about cyanobacteria - that might be of interest to you @frozenborderline - and HERV-K found by the brilliant Dr. Nath - that is more of interest for me personally.

As I also have a letal myopathy which started with worsening of my ME, I'm positive for CB4 and my IFN results show mRNA expression of IFNs linked to persistent EV infection + I'm positive for several mycotoxins.

Here is the video

Thanks. Its indeed an interest of mine. I'll watch when I get a chance. I know gulf war vets had higher rates of ALS , and were exposed to BMAA producing cyanobacteria in Kuwait. But yeah I'll watch the video I'm very curious

I’m just going to put this here, sorry if there’s a better place.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday....arch-protect-ms-trial-temelimab-relapsing-ms/

It’s pHERV-W targeted by temelimab so different family of HERV.

No connection to cyanobacteria that I know of but I’m personally interested in BMAA and want to follow any threads on it.

I worked in a cyanobacteria research lab before falling ill with ME (and later MS)… processing samples all day, at the time inhalation wasn’t considered a route of entry for toxicity (so no PPE).

Rufous McKinney

I was taking fresh samples and getting them to the point of preserving, etc.

Its so odd I was working with plankton and lakes exactly when the 1984 mess happens at Lake Tahoe only we weren't doing the algae work at Tahoe...it was other nearby lakes.

Just an odd coincidence also, is that a gal I was working with, collecting field samples, succumbed to anaphylactic allergy due to the formaldehyde we used in the samples. My job- to go out and collect those samples, was curtailed on Day 2.

This likely saved me from too much formalydyde exposure. A good thing. But I was VERY angry.

All this was caught up in the phenomenon we might call: Sexism at Work. Females weren't allowed to do field work with 1) married men 2) unmarried men 3) anybody else Male. There must be two females at all times. So my female counterpart is out of business.

And since there are only two females working in this office with 100 men, I'm hired to do this work and they prevented me from doing it. I was too stupid and too young to know how to get a voice activated tape recorder.

Its so odd I was working with plankton and lakes exactly when the 1984 mess happens at Lake Tahoe only we weren't doing the algae work at Tahoe...it was other nearby lakes.

Just an odd coincidence also, is that a gal I was working with, collecting field samples, succumbed to anaphylactic allergy due to the formaldehyde we used in the samples. My job- to go out and collect those samples, was curtailed on Day 2.

This likely saved me from too much formalydyde exposure. A good thing. But I was VERY angry.

All this was caught up in the phenomenon we might call: Sexism at Work. Females weren't allowed to do field work with 1) married men 2) unmarried men 3) anybody else Male. There must be two females at all times. So my female counterpart is out of business.

And since there are only two females working in this office with 100 men, I'm hired to do this work and they prevented me from doing it. I was too stupid and too young to know how to get a voice activated tape recorder.

I just checked back on this thread and noticed you replied. That’s terrible about your coworker... I was born in ‘84 so things have come along way but working in the field I still had enough of the sexism. Old school attitudes about everything. Plus being exposed to sometimes who knows what chemicals.