• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allicin, Antibiotics, Artemisinin, And More

hapl808

One of the few things that has consistently helped some of my constant headaches, neck pain, PEM threshold, etc - is allicin. I've taken the Life Extension one, Zhang Clinic, etc.

Antibiotics gave me an almost remission the first time I took Zithro 10 years ago, but it didn't last. Repeating it did much less. Doxy was somewhat helpful, but not that much. Thinking of revisiting a lower dose of Doxy (maybe helpful for collagen, too).

Still, the big improvements I get in neck stiffness, headaches, and cognitive ability if I can push up my allicin dose make me think there's still some infection - although it could be circulation or some other unknown effect I guess. Yet when I've tried to combine high dose allicin, Doxy, artemisinin, etc - it just seems to plateau very quickly.

In the end, my stomach usually hurts too much before those things help too much.

Various things I've taken: knotweed, allicin, artemisinin, oregano oil, doxy, zithro, tinidazole, albendazole, coptis, olive leaf, monolaurin, ku shen, etc.

Any thoughts on the best combos, synergies, high dosages, or things I'm missing out on? I've tried natto-serra for biofilms, skullcap for absorption, and so forth.

LINE

Could be biofilm related, Modified citrus pectin is known to break it up; lactoferrin is another.

Resistance is another to consider. Biofilms of course, induce resistance but there can other reasons for resistance. Goldenseal Root (not leaf) contain constituents that bind efflux pumps which is a part of resistance, hemp oil (Nutiva etc.) contains certain cannabinoids that can stop resistance.

Resistance is pretty easy to identify. If you are on the right abx, then you should be able to see die off within 7-10 days, if after that period of time, if you see a boomerang effect then suspect resistance. Boomerang would be a return of symptoms following the 7-10 day window.

Supporting the gut lining with specific nutrients is always a good idea. (gut lining integrity).,

I have a set of videos that cover biofilms, resistance etc.

You might want to consider unpasteurized Kimchi or sauerkraut for abx, these contain a powerful bacteria (pediococcus) that has been proven to kill off stubborn bacteria. Pasteurized will not work since pasteurization kills off the beneficial bacteria. HEX makes these, so does Cleveland Kraut (Walmart).

hapl808

Resistance is another to consider. Biofilms of course, induce resistance but there can other reasons for resistance. Goldenseal Root (not leaf) contain constituents that bind efflux pumps which is a part of resistance, hemp oil (Nutiva etc.) contains certain cannabinoids that can stop resistance.

I've noticed berberine gives me very bad muscle pain - was never sure if that was doing something good that I couldn't see. It seems like it should be helpful, but even small dosages seem to affect me negatively.

For antibiotics, I think resistance sounds right. First use of Zithro was almost complete remission (10 years ago) within 3-4 days of starting a Z-Pack, but then mostly came back within a week or two. Later when I used Zithro or Doxy for longer, I'd get some improvement for the first few weeks, then it would mostly stop working.

Curious on the videos if they're not too long (I have trouble sometimes absorbing from videos).

I've tried natto-serra (seems helpful I think), modified citrus pectin (couldn't tell if it did anything), and lactoferrin (seems maybe helpful, but hard to tell - only gone through maybe two smaller bottles).

Is there any protocol you've found helpful in particular?

LINE

Based on that information, I think it points toward resistance. Some pathogens have different life cycles, I am thinking of protozoa. One species of protozoa is Blastocystis hominis and it can go into separate life forms such as the cyst form. There is an active form of it as well. So, it is possible that Zmax was able to hit the active cycle but not the cyst form. Of course, this is all conjecture.

Blastocystis has various morphological forms. Four commonly described forms are the vacuolar (otherwise known as central body), granular, amoeboid, and cyst forms. The appearance of the organism is largely dependent upon environmental conditions as it is extremely sensitive to oxygen.

Option #2 is what they define as persisters, this is common with bacteria and likely some protozoa. The idea is that there is an initial invasion and an immune response to that invasion, some of the bacteria survive the attack then change forms which can resist abx. Typically, persisters are lower risk but are able to survive. I think using some other combinations will eradicte them.

One other to look at is Graviola - it has the ability to overcome resistant organisms. I think it also is anti-cancer. I have used it in the past and it seemed helpful. Neem may be another to look at.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro.2017.42

LINE

I would use

goldenseal root and/or

hemp oil and/or

graviola and/or

neem

with the known abx that worked

hapl808

Of course, this is all conjecture.

There's only conjecture where we're traveling. :)

One other to look at is Graviola - it has the ability to overcome resistant organisms. I think it also is anti-cancer. I have used it in the past and it seemed helpful. Neem may be another to look at.

I've taken neem before - seems slightly helpful with fungal stuff (like skin issues), but not sure beyond that. Never taken graviola at all - stumbled across it but never looked beyond that. I'll have to check into it if it's helpful for resistance.

Option #2 is what they define as persisters, this is common with bacteria and likely some protozoa. The idea is that there is an initial invasion and an immune response to that invasion, some of the bacteria survive the attack then change forms which can resist abx. Typically, persisters are lower risk but are able to survive. I think using some other combinations will eradicte them.

Yeah, I feel like some of the Buhner herbs and various other protocols should've targeted that, but hard to see. Seems like a different issue from biofilms and resistance if I'm understanding all that correctly, though?

Thanks. I'll have to look at hemp oil. Can't remember if I ever took it. Would you recommend goldenseal rather than single compounds from it like berberine? Always thought my response to berberine was a bit strange. Reminded me a bit of my response to testosterone (similarly awful - made me feel like my muscles were tearing apart).

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
It is important to note that Arteseminin is only effective against HSV-6B not HSV-6A. However for people infected by HSV-6B it is a great supplement. Dosing around 500 mg at least twice a day appears to be effective for suppression. The main disadvantage is the short half life. We really could use a time released formulation.

NIH is currently funding research into HSV-6. A vaccine has been developed and they are funding research into the virus. I am hopeful that given the new NIH emphasis and the work of the Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) we will see a CFS cure by 2030.

LINE

There's only conjecture where we're traveling. :)

I've taken neem before - seems slightly helpful with fungal stuff (like skin issues), but not sure beyond that. Never taken graviola at all - stumbled across it but never looked beyond that. I'll have to check into it if it's helpful for resistance.

Yeah, I feel like some of the Buhner herbs and various other protocols should've targeted that, but hard to see. Seems like a different issue from biofilms and resistance if I'm understanding all that correctly, though?

Thanks. I'll have to look at hemp oil. Can't remember if I ever took it. Would you recommend goldenseal rather than single compounds from it like berberine? Always thought my response to berberine was a bit strange. Reminded me a bit of my response to testosterone (similarly awful - made me feel like my muscles were tearing apart).

The way I understand it, persisters behavior is a little different. The idea behind the goldenseal root is that it has a number of molecules that bind the efflux pumps as opposed to goldenseal leaf. I have a string of posts on my parasite forum on drug resistance and I had someone pop in the forum and educate me on the value of GSR.

The research points to the efflux pumps as being an issue with resistance. Efflux pumps are very interesting in that those are encoded in resistant strains of bacteria (non-resistant bacteria do not have those). A longer explanation is that there is DNA code within resistant bacteria (like an App that runs :).

This app runs because those bacteria have sensors that can detect threats from abx. If the abx are effective, then the bacteria know this and memorizes the chemical structure. Next time that abx comes into the bacterial colony, the bacteria switch on the efflux pump app which literally pumps the abx out of the colony thus rendering the abx useless. Sci fi stuff.

Certain plant chemicals can disable the efflux pumps such as GSR and certain cannabinoids found in hemp. I am not sure if graviola targets the pumps or works in other mechanisms.

Last edited:

LINE

Lysozyme might be a help. Lysozyme is a human generated molecule that has the ability to kill off some (but not all) microbes. Mother's milk contains lysozyme to protect the newborn.

There is a product called Nutricillin which has lysozyme in it along with lactoferrin (this too is generated from mother's milk for protection.)

Lysozyme is also anti-viral and anti-fungal. Some articles suggest it can attack Covid 19.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8698798/

Dufresne

almost there...
I don't know what you're trying to treat, but a stiff neck and headaches, combined with the antibiotics you say have helped you in the past, you may well have Lyme. Not sure what the best tests are these days. Igenex is a good lab for diagnosing tick-borne infections.

The fact that garlic still helps may further support the idea of Lyme as the culprit. Check out the following.
https://hub.jhu.edu/2018/12/04/lyme-disease-treatment-essential-oils/

Another common drug that seems to work on persisters is Bactrim. In my experience it's even stronger than garlic, and I think it gets into cells, whereas I don't think garlic does.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Serrapeptase is something I take regularly that can help break down biofilms and reduce bacterial resistance.
I'm basically taking a combination of herbs for bacteria like lyme and coinfections which I rotate between. Grape seed extract I take all the time but rotate in and out artemesia, Japanese knotweed and cryptolepis if I can get it. I also will add 10 days of an antibiotic every so often. The antibiotics I've found helpful are doxycycline, roxithromycin and bactrim.

I've been regular with this over the last 6 months and have improved significantly. But I'm using antivirals and optimising hormones like dhea and testosterone and I think the combination of everything is helping. One marker that has improved with me is my neutrophils, which were always low, have been in the normal range since I've been doing this whole protocol. I think the low neutrophils may have been from some sort of chronic bacterial infection?? And the herbs and antibiotics have helped knock it back.

hapl808

It is important to note that Arteseminin is only effective against HSV-6B not HSV-6A. However for people infected by HSV-6B it is a great supplement. Dosing around 500 mg at least twice a day appears to be effective for suppression. The main disadvantage is the short half life. We really could use a time released formulation.

Since artemisinin seems to help me, are there any synergistic things to take with it? Skullcap or antibiotics or that kind of thing? And would it be better to do 500mg twice a day, or spread out 200mg 5 times a day if half life is an issue? Also, any thoughts on pulsing?