• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allergy in bed/sleep?

I started getting allergy symptoms in bed a few months ago. Itchy eyes, running nose, sometimes sneezing and itching. I had this last year also but more mildly with dry eyes and itching, but then my bf also had these smaller rashes that itch (we lived in our summer house then). Then It went away I guess and we couldn't find any triggers.

They seem to come only in contact with my bed, and worsen at night. I started taking loratadine 10 mg and had relief, but now after 2 weeks the symptoms are coming back even though I'm on meds, hence the freak out. I have tried washing everything. I have always since a child been allergic to cats but that's not a possible cause here.

My anxiety that already is bad because of this disease makes me freak out. I'm afraid of becoming hypersensitive so I will have to wear a mask and everything. This disease has already taken away everything from me =/ I guess this is triggered by ME and that's also why I'm afraid because as we all know this disease has no limits.

Any advice? Please don't share any scary stories since I'm already panicking.

Apple

I have hayfever and although I do have it during the day, it's always much worse at night and in the morning whilst lying in bed. So as it seems to be seasonal, it could well be that.

Also consider the washing powder that your bed sheets and pillows are being washed in. Many of the scented ones can cause allergic reaction.

Marigold7

Check the powder you are using and try not using ANY conditioner. I cannot be near anything where conditioner has been used. Assuming you are not using feather pillows or eiderdowns?

Dechi

This seems highly possible, but washing should improve the symptoms then? And it's scary that the medication stopped working after only 2 weeks.

Try another type of medication. There are many available off the shelves. It is to be expected that they stop working after a while (usually not 2 weeks, but they were probably not the right kind, maybe the allergen itself has switched, it could be from a different kind of tree).

Try as many as necessary, until you find one that works. Take them in the morning if 24 hour relief so they don't interfere with sleep.

Marigold7

Try another type of medication. There are many available off the shelves. It is to be expected that they stop working after a while (usually not 2 weeks, but they were probably not the right kind, maybe the allergen itself has switched, it could be from a different kind of tree).

Try as many as necessary, until you find one that works. Take them in the morning if 24 hour relief so they don't interfere with sleep.

Would advise rather finding out and eliminating the allergen? Mine was the washing powder I was using. Far better than taking more and more meds? I never need allergy meds for sleeping now

Dechi

Would advise rather finding out and eliminating the allergen? Mine was the washing powder I was using. Far better than taking more and more meds? I never need allergy meds for sleeping now

Yes, of course, if the allergen is something you can control. I was talking specifically about seasonal allergies, which you can't do much about except endure, move or take medication. I should have specified.

Marigold7

Yes, of course, if the allergen is something you can control. I was talking specifically about seasonal allergies, which you can't do much about except endure, move or take medication. I should have specified.

Thanks. As the OP said it was only abed she suffered I think we assumed it was not seasonal. I am overcome by hay fever when I simply open the door to let the dog out but am not taking meds as they have such bad side effects.

Basilico

Florida
I have an idea. It's possible that something is in the mattress you are sleeping on that's triggering you, which would explain why washing the bedding doesn't eliminate the problem.

They sell mattress covers (I think made of plastic) that you can use to completely seal up the mattress - I think they are called mattress protectors. They aren't expensive (hopefully you can easily get one in Sweden), and maybe you could try using one of those for a few nights to see if your allergic reaction changes.

If it does, then you know there's something within the mattress bothering you (dust, mold, mites, something else). If your reaction doesn't change, then it's not the mattress, itself. Maybe it's something under the bed - do you keep anything under the bed? Is there an open space under the bed, or is it a solid frame? Is there a boxspring, or is the mattress on the floor? It could also possibly something on the bed frame (if you have one).

If you can rule out the mattress, you can focus on other areas to figure out what the problem is.

Do you have a ceiling fan or light directly over your bed? In my bedroom, there is a ceiling fan directly over the bed, and if I don't wipe it off regularly, A LOT of dust and crap sticks to the fan blades. Perhaps there is dust collecting on a fan/light fixture above your bed, and this is causing your reaction.

Do you have a shelf/table next to your bed? Maybe dust or mold or other antigens are collecting around that, and since it's next to the bed, it bothers you when you are sleeping because that's when you're in close contact with that area.

Is your bed near a corner? I know a lot of dust and crap tends to collect in corners of rooms because vacuums and brooms don't easily reach there.

Other people also suggested that you could be reacting to the laundry detergent used to wash the sheets, which is another good thing to rule out.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use a completely sealed mattress protector for a long period of time, because it might promote mold growth. But it could be a good thing to use temporarily to see if you can pinpoint the source of the problem.

Last edited:

Dechi

@Basilico Good points ! If your mattress is old, you could be allergic to bed mites. Can you try vaccuming the mattress ? Also, not making your bed in the morning will help keep mite reproducing to a minimum, since they need a certain temperature to do so.

If you buy a mattress protector, buy a good quality one so you don't feel like your sleeping in saran wrap... with no air circulation.

bspg

Plant Queen
Have you tried showing before bed?

I used to date someone who had terrible pollen allergies. He did everything to treat them but still had problems at night. It turns out it was from the pollen that landed on his body throughout the day which he then deposited in the bed when he laid down. A quick shower every night before bed fixed his problem.

taniaaust1

This seems highly possible, but washing should improve the symptoms then? And it's scary that the medication stopped working after only 2 weeks.

medication which stops working after a couple of weeks, consider you may of been only having a placebo affect to it.. as placebo affects often wear off.

tudiemoore

You may want to look at some websites that specialize in products to use for help with allergies.
I've found this useful to get ideas about things I should check into and/or strategies as well as products that help.

Very possible that your mattress and pillows are the problem.
I have a zippered encasement over my mattress and one over the box springs. I vacuum my mattress regularly, use an allergy mattress cover.
These are not too expensive and are quite effective, especially if laundered regularly.

Same routine with pillows--allergy pillow cover, then usual one, then usual pillow case!
More laundry!
Oh, the pillows themselves need to be washed!
But I've found this to be pretty effective--

Some good ideas above too-
Not as labor intensive as it seems--once things are checked into, cleaned as needed it's routine and well worth it.
I think of it as creating an allergy-free bubble to sleep in :cool: !
tm

Dainty

I used to have bad reactions to my bedding too. I found addressing the source of that effective.

Are you able to take benedryl? It's stronger stuff than loratadine and its effect shouldn't wear off. I wouldn't be concerned about loratadine no longer helping, in my and my mom's experience it can be a tricky medication to take effectively. My mom's doctor said it's actually not meant to be used on an "as needed" basis. I still use it that way, and sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. *shrug*

I work at a Bed & Breakfast specifically designed for people with severe chemical sensitivities, allergies, and/or mold sensitivity. There are a number of ways we reduce or eliminate allergens in the bedding and environment. I could list a bunch of things, but I don't want you to assume you need to take as many precautions. If dust mites are a problem, regular vacuuming, washing sheets and other bedding often, and running your pillows through the dryer with HIGH heat on a regular basis could make a big difference.

I also recommend taking a look at your laundry detergent.

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
Hi, when the allergists thought my daughter's rhinitis was allergic, they recommended these products: http://www.allergend.com.au/

Dust mite allergy (IgE) is very common in Australia.

I did buy the products (pillow slips and mattress covers) and they are a lovely, thick cotton. I think the gauge of the fabric is too tight for the mites to get through? They are expensive, but apparently effective. Some others may be able to recommend.

My daughter's rhinitis is triggered by histamine, so head lice are, in fact, the big problem for us.