• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allergy hell

tinacarroll27

At the moment I am suffering from really bad hay fever and it's making me crash all the time and also making me feel feverish. I have tried various antihistamines but I don't do well with them. Some made me very drowsy and the fatigue worse and I tried a non-drowsy antihistamine that was recommended but it also made me feel worse. I tend to be very sensitive to medications. My GP has prescribed nasal steroid sprays in the past but they have caused nose bleeds and so I am reluctant to go back onto them. Not sure what to do.

How are others coping with hayfever and ME? Have any natural remedies ever worked for anyone? I dread the summer as I get hit very hard by it.

Last edited by a moderator:

geraldt52

I have been able to tolerate the nasal steroid sprays, but not at anywhere near the normally prescribed dosages. I find that if I use them maybe just once every other day I am able to tolerate them, and they give at least some relief. Not a great plan, but it might get you through some of the worst days/weeks.

Thinktank

I use a nasal spray too called avamys, it's the only one i tolerate well. Have you tried that one yet?

I've tried all the prescription antihistamines, in the summer i only do well with fexofenadine which is presumed to be the one with the least side effects.

As natural remedies i do well with:
Quercetin
Butterbur+feverfew
Boswellia when bodywide inflammation is high

Neti pot to clear out my sinuses before bed.

tinacarroll27

I use a nasal spray too called avamys, it's the only one i tolerate well. Have you tried that one yet?
Thanks, I will give it a go!
As natural remedies i do well with:
Quercetin
Butterbur+feverfew
Boswellia when bodywide inflammation is high

Neti pot to clear out my sinuses before bed.
I use Quercetin but not tried the others. I will look into it. Thanks

Sarah94

Have you tried Prevalin nasal spray? (Not a steroid)

And sodium cromoglicate eye drops?

Prevention stuff like not drying clothes/linen outdoors

You can also put vaseline around your nose and eyes to catch the pollen before it goes into your nose and eyes

I also find that anti inflammatories (medication or supplements) help - the histamine from an allergic reaction causes inflammation

I also bought an air purifier for my room, which is supposed to help

Also some products here which may help.
https://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/categories/hayfever

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Here are some ways that other people have found relief from allergies:
Colloidal silver, from: http://www.colloidalsilversuccessstories.com/
I had struggled in the spring and autumn seasons before due to heavy pollen with severe sinus pain/headache, etc. I lay on my bed with my head back hanging slightly over the bed, and I drop three drops of silver into each nostril, lay there for one minute (the "slight" stinging lets you know it made it there), then I blow my nose. I repeat the process one more time. Within an hour my suffering subsides, and my head feels clear.

Iodine, from an interview with Lynne Farrow (author of The Iodine Crisis):
That's one of my favourite things because every spring I would get allergies. That just disappeared and I don't lose the month of May anymore. Food sensitivities - not being allergic to certain foods that I just couldn't eat, they're totally gone now.

Milk thistle, from a comment on Vitacost review of Nature's Answer non-alcohol liquid extract:
Because of the numerous prescriptions my husband takes, he is limited in what he can take to address his allergies. We live in the high desert of So. Calif where winds and seasonal pollen present serious challenges to our comfort. When the OTC allergy medication that his doctor recommended did little to help him, I suggested he try Nettle [Milk thistle] drops as they would not interfere with his Rx meds. From the first dose, they addressed the symptoms that were making him miserable and now, we are never without them!

ACV, from a comment on Earthclinic.com:
I have recently (within the last month) started taking anywhere from 1 tsp 1X a day to 1 tsp 3X per day, depending on my level of stuffiness (I have been taking it for my allergies and digestive issues) of Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Both my allergies and digestive issues are GREAT now.

Hayfever, from a blog comment:
I noticed that when I drink Apple Cider Vinegar + Honey + Lemon Juice – X3 times a day [roughly equal amounts], my hayfever condition improves and I can function without the need for antihistamine tables. I have experimented with drinking the ACV mix 1x day vs 3x a day. I can say when I take it 3X a day, I feel great.

Learner1

Attachments

• Afrin 2014 Presentation of MCAS.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • Afrin Drugs for MCAS.pdf
    891 KB · Views: 19
  • 302_Weinstock_Mast_Cells_MCAS_Autoimmunity_AIC2018may.pdf
    932.4 KB · Views: 17
  • POTS MCAS IVIG LDN.pdf
    823 KB · Views: 17

Thinktank

Yes, MCAS is absolutely contributing to my allergy-hell. But imo it's being triggered by a hyperpemeable intestinal lining and dysbiosis.

Thinktank

Yes, but l-glutamine makes me feel wired. L-glutamine <--> glutamate.

I tried Cromolyn sodium once and it caused my IBD to flare up, samething with a sodium cromolyn nasal spray, it made my sinuses even more inflamed.

I'm a complex case :meh:

I'm now using a corticosteroid nasal spray combined with a corticosteroid inhaler. I will also give fexofenadine a try as soon as the hay fever symptoms start. It's the only antihistamine that i tolerate.

Practicing intermittent fasting and strictly avoiding IgE and IgG reactive foods has seriously improved my GI tract. Reactions to food has lessened, so i hope it will also have an impact on my seasonal allergies, now that my immune system has somewhat calmed down, because some of my inhalant sensitivities are related to food, it's called crossreaction.

AnnieT

I have terrible allergies at the moment.. itchy and watery eyes, itchy ears, sneezing. It makes my head feel heavy, and I just feel unwell.

I just suffer it, haven't come up with anything!

Learner1

Yes, but l-glutamine makes me feel wired. L-glutamine <--> glutamate.
Practicing intermittent fasting and strictly avoiding IgE and IgG reactive foods has seriously improved my GI tract. Reactions to food has lessened, so i hope it will also have an impact on my seasonal allergies, now that my immune system has somewhat calmed down, because some of my inhalant sensitivities are related to food, it's called crossreaction.
I suggested l-glutamine as it can help heal a leaky gut lining so that fewer food particles get into your bloodstream for you to react to. Maybe you could take something calming to better tolerate the glutamine.

Have you seen "The Food Intoletance Bible"? Great book.
I tried Cromolyn sodium once and it caused my IBD to flare up, samething with a sodium cromolyn nasal spray, it made my sinuses even more inflamed.
Odd. Cromolyn calms my gut down when it badly flares from IVIG. Have you tried different manufacturers? Could be something in the formulation...
I'm now using a corticosteroid nasal spray combined with a corticosteroid inhaler.
That does not sound like a good long term solution. Coukd cause sone serious problems. Best while finding a different strategy.
I will also give fexofenadine a try as soon as the hay fever symptoms start. It's the only antihistamine that i tolerate.
That helps me, but I have to have all antihistamines compounded due to allergens in the fillers. Also ketotifen works well. And injectable Benadryl.

You might also want to look into the mastcellmaster or mastattack websites. Or the attached.

Attachments

• Afrin Drugs for MCAS.pdf
    891 KB · Views: 15
  • Afrin 2014 Presentation of MCAS.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 14