• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

All my B's are low. Any advice?

Jackdaw

I am bedbound and have been ill 14 years although bedbound 6 months.

I had a Genova OAT plus some extra bloods done and the results show I am in the red for b1, b2, b9 and b12 and in the yellow for the others. I am also yellow for q10 and red for manganese and magnesium.

I have tried taking low doses of b12 in the past and it has flattened me. I eat a healthy diet.

Does anyone know if this is a normal finding for someone severely affected and is my body needing these things or rejecting them? What should I do?

pamojja

I have tried taking low doses of b12 in the past and it has flattened me.

At this point of malnutrition so many co-factors could be missing making you feel flat. Especially the B-vitamins need each other in it's metabolism. An adverse reaction could also come from one of the fillers/binders in a supplement. Therefore I would try different brands, best with all B-vitamins. And at least the so important Magnesium.

Just open a capsule of a new trialed supplement, and try only a speck at first. Then increase gradually if and as much as you tolerate. If intolerant try an other brand. Good luck!

In my case by trying to correct a vitamin D deficiency, a subclinical Magnesium deficiency was pushed to a very, very severe (vitamin D requires Magnesium to be metabolized). Though I gradually increased the Magnesium dose right at the edge of it causing diarrhea over the course of 10 years to up to 2.5 g/d of elemental Mg, it ever alleviated the very painful muscle-cramps only a bid. Only when I got Mg-sulfate IVs since November last year they ceased completely.

Last edited:

pamojja

I eat a healthy diet.

At the beginning of my health-journey I analyzed my nutrient-intake with software. Against the advise that a healthy diet would provide all nutrients, and adding foods highest in content of nutrients I found missing, I was always short of the RDA in at least some. Such artificially concocted diet aren't sustainable.

Then the RDA of nutrients were calculated for someone healthy to prevent worst nutrient-deficiencies (beri-beri, scurvy etc). But have never been meant as optimal intakes for all bodily systems possibly involved. Or with decreased absorption with aging or chronic diseases.

And once a deficiency develops, the RDA is really a 'ridiculous daily allowance'. Like in my experience with Magnesium, where even 1.5 g/d (in average over 10 years) never overcame the deficiency. It's RDA would be 400 mg/d.

Seven7

Seven
I have absorption issues (due to colitis) so I hear the struggle. For Bs I would do molasses tea (oldie but goody). I do better with real food than supplements;

Runner5

Vega Recovery Drink Mix -- is loaded with B Vitamins and might help get your vitamins up. How's your vitamin D and other vitamins?
When you say Magnesium is in the red, low or high?

I have GI issues and I think my issues have been malabsorption.

I have trouble taking the B vitamins, they tend to cause me nausea, skin outbreaks and other problems. It's stupid but fortified foods have been my friend. Guess it's B vitamins but doesn't overload my system, however most of the fortified foods are pretty lame like white bread, white rice, breakfast cereal etc. and most people won't eat those even with a gun to their head. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ For me they're easily digestible and I can get at some of the vitamins and they empty my stomach quickly. Eh. Sometimes there isn't a pretty solution, I'll figure out something smarter someday.

Jackdaw

Other vitamins good except D bit low. So back on supplements for that which has worked in the past. Magnesium ( red blood cell) is low. I have fortified stuff. Which is why I am worried my body doesn't want energy things or maybe there is just a high demand? RDA are stupid, defo.

I tried a tiny bit of acetyl l carnitine a while back and I was whacked for days.

I am so sick and worsening I am scared of doing the wrong thing but I should try and correct these, right?

Thanks for the replies. Really kind.

jack. i cant take the b's either. but i can take the co-enzyme b complex, with my b-12 shots. works for me.

just keep changing brands, until you find one that works.

good luck, joanie

the b-12 shots are little insulin needles, subq in the belly. no pain at all. a lot of people dont realize that b-12 can be given subq, says right on the box. even my doctor didnt know.

try this jack, gives a quick burst of energy.

joanie

bjl218

Read some of the threads here about B2. I was also low to very low in all B vitamins. Until I started supplementing with B2, I couldn’t tolerate B12 or B6. Of course, it’s also important to find out the root cause of your malnutrition.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I had a Genova OAT plus some extra bloods done and the results show I am in the red for b1, b2, b9 and b12 and in the yellow for the others. I am also yellow for q10 and red for manganese and magnesium.

I have tried taking low doses of b12 in the past and it has flattened me. I eat a healthy diet.

So many vitamins work together that it would be hard to know where to start. If you can't get out to see a nutritionally-oriented doctor, perhaps this will help you:
http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/
Although this is written for people with mthfr mutations, you can see if the right proportion of nutrients will be a good start for you. Dr. Lynch gives 30-day refund guarantees.
Dr. Ben Lynch has several multivitamins including a multivitamin/multimineral powder he doesn't list which would be easiest to try in small amounts:
https://www.seekinghealth.com/optimal-multivitamin-powder-30-servings/

NOTE: If you are not sensitive to supplements in general, then it is recommended to start with a comprehensive multivitamin and multimineral as this supports numerous biochemical functions within your body. It also provides a fast testing ground to see if you respond well to numerous nutrients.

If you do not tolerate a multivitamin well, this is a sign that you must proceed more slowly and work on healing your digestion and dietary intake and lifestyle habits first.
  • Optimal Multivitamin line
    • contains methylfolate and methylcobalamin
    • no folic acid
    • comprehensive and well-absorbed minerals
    • all B vitamins in quality forms
    • comes in three forms:
      • Optimal Multivitamin
        • Ages 16 and up: consider 3 capsules with breakfast and 3 capsules with lunch
        • contains 400 mcg of methylfolate
        • iron-free
        • free of magnesium stearate, flavors, titanium dioxides
      • Optimal Multivitamin Chewable
        • Ages 4 and up: consider 1 tablet with breakfast and 1 with lunch
        • contains 400 mcg of methylfolate
        • easy delivery and well-tolerated
        • may give to younger children (2 and above) with doctor’s permission
        • 2 mg of iron per chewable tablet
      • Optimal Prenatal
        • useful for preconception, pregnancy and breastfeeding
        • contains 800 mcg of a blend of methylfolate and folinic acid
        • comprehensive B vitamins and chelated minerals
        • iron-free
        • specialty nutrients to support neurological development and ease morning sickness
      • Kid’s Optimal Multivitamin
        • Ages 4 and up: consider 3 capsules with breakfast and 3 with lunch
        • smaller capsules easier to swallow
        • iron-free
        • free of magnesium stearate, flavors, titanium dioxides

Jackdaw

@joanierav Thanks. Could I ask what co enzyme product you use as I am struggling to find one.

@bjl218 Thanks. Interesting to know you had the low b's too. Has sorting them helped the ME?

As far as why, my mum spoke to a GP and she didn't give a hoot. Said it was just diet but I eat healthily and they aren't just a bit low. Anyone know the possible causes? I am unaware I have any gut probs. I wee lots but my vitamin c was good.

@bj218 May I ask if you found the cause for you?

Last edited:

bjl218

Hi @Jackdaw. I don't have ME and at this point, I don't think my situation is sorted. I assume that this is due to some sort of gut issue, but what that issue is and what specifically to do about it we haven't discovered yet. I'm still taking small amounts of the Life Extension Mix powder and I'll probably be re-testing my nutritional status some time in September when I next see my functional medicine doc. I assume we'll also talk about testing to find out what's going on in my gut.