• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aldosterone & Anti duiretic hormone results

Are they low?

Doctor never said anything at the time but I just came over them again and im wondering if these are poor levels or not as the range is always so big.

Aldosterone 198 p/mol upright. This converts to around 7 ng/dl

ADH 2.1 pmol/L
Osmolality - 307 mosmol/kg

Have been a very frequent urinator since I was born

Last edited:
Aldosterone range 67-900 pmol/L

ADH range says 1-12 pmol/L

Your 70pmol/L would be classed as 'normal' by my range, which is stupid. I dont think the specific lab range matter.

Did you sit for your test?

Last edited:

ryan31337

All comes down to how invested in the subject your doctor is. In my experience if they aren't experts in the area they'll leave well alone and only treat if you stray into obviously deranged levels, where their actions are easily justifiable - which is of no help to us!

Not good enough to just see any old 'ologist', you need a specific expert to get anywhere unfortunately.

ryan31337

Just saw your question, sorry. Yes, i was sitting. Have no idea if the ref range is based on sitting vs standing, doubt the phlebotomists appreciate the significance most of the time.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Are they low?

Doctor never said anything at the time but I just came over them again and im wondering if these are poor levels or not as the range is always so big.

Aldosterone 198 p/mol upright. This converts to around 7 ng/dl

ADH 2.1 pmol/L
Osmolality - 307 mosmol/kg

Have been a very frequent urinator since I was born

A 24hr urine collection i think is a better indication of aldosterone working. The average person pees 1.5ltrs a day.

I was constantly thirsty and peeing all the dam time. Aldosterone testing i was told can be inaccurate, other blood work said i was mildly dehydrated and the 24hr urine collection was 10litres. I have been on minirin medication for awhile and its helped alot. I was really suprised how much this was interferring with my sleep. After being on it awhile, i forgot a dose one night and was up continuously peeing every hour or so. Now with minirin i can last all night and sleep much better.

I think this shows that many with cfsme have damage to the hypothalamus which controls many functions of the body, one which is controlling our fluid and electrolyte balance. Im sure if one didnt compensate by drinking more it would contribute to pots/oi issues.

A 24hr urine collection i think is a better indication of aldosterone working. The average person pees 1.5ltrs a day.

I was constantly thirsty and peeing all the dam time. Aldosterone testing i was told can be inaccurate, other blood work said i was mildly dehydrated and the 24hr urine collection was 10litres. I have been on minirin medication for awhile and its helped alot. I was really suprised how much this was interferring with my sleep. After being on it awhile, i forgot a dose one night and was up continuously peeing every hour or so. Now with minirin i can last all night and sleep much better.

I think this shows that many with cfsme have damage to the hypothalamus which controls many functions of the body, one which is controlling our fluid and electrolyte balance. Im sure if one didnt compensate by drinking more it would contribute to pots/oi issues.

10 litres wow. mine is just slightly under 3 litres a day.

Last edited:

ryan31337

Have you been evaluated for POTS @jack blogs? Low aldosterone is a common finding there, linked to suspected hypovolemia. POTS recommendations are 10mg sodium & 3L water consumed per day.

24hr urine collection with sodium testing is often done to establish if you're drinking enough and taking enough salt.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
10 litres wow. mine is just slightly under 3 litres a day.

Unless im eating salty junk food my anxiety is horrific and i get a strange pressure feeling exploding in my brain, hard to explain. it happens everytime i change my diet from junk food to fresh meat, veg and starch.

I am only now realising this could very possibly be from lack of sodium in the 'cleaner' diet.

Of you low carbing theres an intial loss of water as its stored with glucose so one can feel crappy from poor electrolytes. Salt pills are good but also electrolyte pill with others eg potassium magnesium etc.

Have you been evaluated for POTS @jack blogs? Low aldosterone is a common finding there, linked to suspected hypovolemia. POTS recommendations are 10mg sodium & 3L water consumed per day.

24hr urine collection with sodium testing is often done to establish if you're drinking enough and taking enough salt.
Havent been evaluated for that. How does one get 10mg sodium a day while eating a healthy diet? seems really hard.

I had a 24hr urine collection done a couple of years ago

ZMFiMVe.png

Last edited:

ryan31337

Interesting, thanks for sharing results. Afraid I don't know how to interpret the sodium readings and how volume relates - still waiting for mine to come back and be explained by expert.

I do know from literature that in POTS patients "The goal is a volume of 1,500–2,500 mL and sodium excretion of 170 mmol/24 hours". This is often achieved through salt supplementation as that's usually a tall order through diet alone.

Paralee

Havent been evaluated for that. How does one get 10mg sodium a day while eating a healthy diet? seems really hard.

I had a 24hr urine collection done a couple of years ago

ZMFiMVe.png

@jack blogs, I'm not up on aldosterone etc. like I should be (just found some problems with mine) but your potassium is just barely over while your sodium is really over. Are you on supplements? Drinking enough water?

Since this is a urine test I would say maybe your body wants some of this stuff eliminated, but I'm no authority on urine tests except maybe one thing....calcium. If you're eliminating a lot of calcium I would get your serum calcium and parathyroid hormone checked at the same time. Then make sure your doctor knows how to read the results and hopefully he/she isn't just a range reader because unless your parathyroid hormone (pth) is pretty low and reads higher but normal you might have a problem....ranges don't mean much with hyperparathyroidism.

Good luck, like you said, that was a couple of years ago?

@jack blogs, I'm not up on aldosterone etc. like I should be (just found some problems with mine) but your potassium is just barely over while your sodium is really over. Are you on supplements? Drinking enough water?

Since this is a urine test I would say maybe your body wants some of this stuff eliminated, but I'm no authority on urine tests except maybe one thing....calcium. If you're eliminating a lot of calcium I would get your serum calcium and parathyroid hormone checked at the same time. Then make sure your doctor knows how to read the results and hopefully he/she isn't just a range reader because unless your parathyroid hormone (pth) is pretty low and reads higher but normal you might have a problem....ranges don't mean much with hyperparathyroidism.

Good luck, like you said, that was a couple of years ago?
Not taking supplements at time of this test, also have same test done 3 years before this one and had same results.

PTH.. ill look into it but ive always had normal calcium levels in serum
These results where done on the same day as the urine test

Total Calcium 2.50 mmol/L (2.05-2.65)
Ionized calcium 1.09 mmol/L (1.00-1.15)

Last edited:

Paralee

@jack blogs, my calcium was almost always normal too, you can have normalcalcemic hyperparathyroidism. My ionized calcium was normal, also.....it's that dang pth. Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up, because doctors are usually way off on what they're taught.

@jack blogs, my calcium was almost always normal too, you can have normalcalcemic hyperparathyroidism. My ionized calcium was normal, also.....it's that dang pth. Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up, because doctors are usually way off on what they're taught.
Ill get PTH tested for sure but I cant help think high urinary calcium could be related to the fact that everything tested is also high.. sodium, potassium, creatinine, phosphorus and magnesium. Might be some kind of kidney issue