• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alcohol Reduces Inflammation

Treeman

Hi, I like a drink every now and then (I'm basically intolerant of it, but love it!). Why I love it is because it Improves my symptoms. They subside and I get a release from the ME/CFS.

I noted through an internet search that it's known that alcohol reduces inflammation. The negative side effects of alcohol are well known, however does anyone know what is it in alcohol that reduces inflammation and can it be used without the negative effects?

Thanks.

hapl808

I've always wondered if it was related to inflammation or GABA activity? Alcohol helps (some of) my symptoms a lot, especially tachycardia. But the next day I usually feel worse even if I only have one glass or half a glass. So in general I don't drink at all, so it's just one more helpful thing that I avoid because of the side effects.

YippeeKi YOW !!

The negative side effects of alcohol are well known, however does anyone know what is it in alcohol that reduces inflammation and can it be used without the negative effects?
I think it depends on the type of alcohol. Wine, for instance, has polyphenols like resveratrol and/or flavonoids that have positive effects on metabolism. Polyphenols also have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antiplatelet activity, and produce decent improvement in insulin sensitivity, lipid profiles and endothelial function.

Beers are so widely variegated that it's hard to make any across-the-board assumptions, but I'd think that if wine has benefits, it's humbler, but equally naturally based cousin beer, would too.

Hard liquor .... that's harder to say, except that, if you're not diabetic or in some sort of cardio crisis state, moderate amounts of ethanol could reduce inflammation by increasing HDL cholesterol and adiponectin, as well as improving insulin sensitivity and endothelial function.

HELPFUL HINT ... a nice little cabernet would be GREAT with mushy peas ... or maybe a Chianti...

I've always wondered if it was related to inflammation or GABA activity?
Apparently it's more linked to inflammation, altho alcohol, being a GABA agonist, does act on GABA receptors, and mimics the effects of GABA in terms of relaxation and that lovely little soft buzz that tells you that all's right in the world, even when it clearly isn't.

I miss it, but like you, the penalty of even small amounts of, say, a really nice sherry or cognac, are unpleasant enough to reduce my enthusiasm ....

hapl808

Apparently it's more linked to inflammation, altho alcohol, being a GABA agonist, does act on GABA receptors, and mimics the effects of GABA in terms of relaxation and that lovely little soft buzz that tells you that all's right in the world, even when it clearly isn't.

I miss it, but like you, the penalty of even small amounts of, say, a really nice sherry or cognac, are unpleasant enough to reduce my enthusiasm ....

Yeah, I wonder about it, though. I don't think polyphenols or affects on cholesterol could explain it, at least for me. I've taken purified resveratrol, japanese knotweed, etc - no similar immune calming effects. Same with a myriad of other polyphenols. It feels more like a CNS relaxant effect (like Benadryl) rather than some cholesterol or even insulin effect.

hapl808

I've tried various things and they reduce the obvious after effects, but my HRV drops for usually two days after drinking even if I feel no obvious after effects. Some things that I find helpful for after effects include DHM, vitamin C, extra hydration, milk thistle, charcoal, etc.

Treeman

I had a couple of drinks yesterday and closely monitored my condition.

I noticed my usual poor taste reduced and the curry I was eating tasted delightful. I think my poor taste buds and poor smell could be caused by persistent infections and/or persistent inflammation.

I got my usual happy, lairy, mischief and cheeky self. (Not something everyone always enjoys ☺️)

lenora

I just found over the years that alcohol can relax me, true, make me sleepy, but after an hour of sleep, I'm wide awake. My husband (78) found the same thing....so it has been a few years since we've imbibed.

One could say my meds cause the problems, but my husband takes no drugs whatsoever. Perhaps earlier in the day (e.g. Xmas) I'll have a little of something heavily diluted with ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSMLSM

Hi, I like a drink every now and then (I'm basically intolerant of it, but love it!). Why I love it is because it Improves my symptoms. They subside and I get a release from the ME/CFS.

I noted through an internet search that it's known that alcohol reduces inflammation. The negative side effects of alcohol are well known, however does anyone know what is it in alcohol that reduces inflammation and can it be used without the negative effects?

Thanks.
I believe it is because it stimulates the HPA axis and causes cortisol to be increased. If you are dealing with adrenal insuficiency it can help give you a little relief at a cost. Thats what I thought it was doing for me. I have not looked up all the detail for sometime so this is all I can add right now.

Oh and of course some alcohol has carophyllene
1658682849492.png

Rufous McKinney

Oh and of course some alcohol has carophyllene

How fascinating!

Out and about, I tend to not enjoy out. I was once forced to consume a large dark beer, gratis, as I waited for a new motel room not located next to the elevator engine and ongoing sound/ vibrations of ver 30 decibels, emanating from inside the wall.

I don't want this beer. I sat at the bar and sipped on it anyway and by the time I had mostly drank this large beer, I was Happy as Could Be. I was chill. Relaxed, happy, This is GREAT. WOW

My body loves Hops.

But mostly I don't drink now, because of blood sugar management issues and heading off Type 2.