• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Air purifiers

If you can afford to spend more, I'd recommend the airoasis iadaptair. They have 3 sizes, the smallest size is 400$ for 250 sq ft. I have the midsize which is 600$ for 550 sq ft. They do hepa, UV and ionic. The ionic sends stuff into the air which neutralizes mycotoxins. That purifier makes things noticeably better for me. But replacement filters aren't cheap either. Airoasis has a cheaper purifier (G3) that does only ionic/UV - no HEPA. I think that's the one that Shoemaker likes, but its controversial having the ionic (ozone) stuff running while you're in the room. Some people say its harmful. That said, I think there's an actual study showing the G3 made homes with slightly high ERMI scores liveable for some people with mold problems.

Some people say HEPA doesn't help much with mycotoxins - they're smaller than the HEPA. I know n95s dont help with mycotoxins. There are different levels of HEPA types though.

I tried the honeywell HPA300 and reacted to it. People in the reviews were saying its the glue they use on their hepa filters. I also reacted to the molekule. As far as HEPA+Carbon only, I have the vornado AC550 and can recommend that also. Vornado also makes a line with UV + HEPA. The UV should help with mycotoxins I think.

Here's a link discussing purifiers. If you want one <100$, the germguardian AC4825 seems like a good choice with HEPA, carbon and UV/PCO. But don't run it while you're out of the house, there are reports of it shorting out.

Dufresne

almost there...
The following is from Wikipedia's article on HEPA filters.

Filters meeting the HEPA standard must satisfy certain levels of efficiency. Common standards require that a HEPA air filter must remove—from the air that passes through—at least 99.95% (European Standard)[4] or 99.97% (ASME, U.S. DOE)[5][6] of particles whose diameter is equal to 0.3 μm; with the filtration efficiency increasing for particle diameters both less than and greater than 0.3 μm.

People often claim HEPA filters don't remove mycotoxins because they don't filter things smaller than 0.3 micrometers. But as you can see above, they apparently do. It just so happens that 0.3 is the most difficult size to filter so they grade filters by how effective they are with this size. They're even better with both smaller and larger particles. So by getting a good HEPA filter one can massively improve their indoor air quality.

Unfortunately this doesn't necessarily halt one's reactions to the air that passes through the filters. Welcome to the crazy world of mold illness.

I bought a Health Mate Plus by Austin Air about a year ago and I'm happy with it. Their filters only need to be replaced every 3-5 years. And the machines are about 400 USD. So this form of avoidance coupled with my detox protocol is serving me quite well. I feel I'm improving about as well as I was over the summer practicing pretty extreme avoidance without the detox protocol.