• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ahcc

shannah

Just wondering if anyone has an inexpensive source or an alternative product that is just as or more effective than this. Says it is a "monosaccharide produced from the mycelium of a shiitake hybrid grown in rice bran extract".

I've found
http://www.betterhealthinternational.com/productCategorydetails.asp?catID=3&startIndex=1&endIndex=80
NOW brand 2 oz. for 57.95 - at recommended dose of 2 grams twice a day ( 4 grams) seems it would last for
2 weeks

and at
http://www.qualityahcc.com/ahccgold.html?gclid=CJmntZOvhKECFdtL5QoduS6yyQ
Kinoko Gold brand 500 mg/60 caps $38.00 (on sale from 100.00) at 2 caps 4 x day (4 grams) would last for 7.5 days

Suggestions or experiences would be most welcome. Thanks.

shannah

Jerry S

Hi shannah,

I just received my first order of AHCC from Better Health International today. They have the lowest price I could find. (Thanks to CFS since 1998 for the tip.) $38.00 for 60 - 500 mg caps is also a good price, if you don't want to mix the powder.

AHCC is a proprietary extract so it should be the same stuff sold under different brand names. I don't know of any similar product which has as much research data. I've only been taking a gram per day for a month, purchased from Swanson's, so it's too soon to say if it's making any difference.

Best wishes,
Jerry

shannah

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I just started it yesterday with 1 1/2 grams - today did 2 grams in two divided doses and was able to leave the house for a short trip, (a very rare thing). Just now taking another gram. Definitely something beneficial happening. Hard not to be hopeful.

But what an expense eh? There's 2 of us ill here. Wish it were available bulk somewhere but haven't come across anything yet. Will keep looking.

Would love to hear from time to time how you're making out with it.

Best Wishes,
shannah

shannah

Just looking around, I found shiitake mushroom powder in bulk $106.02 for a pound which would make several hundred capsules. I wonder how this would compare with AHCC which says "monosaccharide produced from the mycelium of a shiitake hybrid grown in rice bran extract".

100% Shiitake Mushroom Standardized Extract (15% Polysaccharides)
http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/shiitake-mushroom.cfm

I wonder if one would derive basically the same benefit from either product. I know it's often a marketing strategy to throw in the word 'proprietary' to thwart people from trying to find a replacement for their product. I have no idea of the difference between a monosaccharide and a polysaccharide. I'm afraid I don't have enough technical knowledge to make a comparison.

Chris

Mushroom stuff

Hi, all; AOR put out an expensive AHHC, but also a considerably less expensive (not cheap, but..) thing called Immune Support, which contains a few things like Holy Basil but is mostly ImmuNutrin, a proprietary formula containing maitake, shitake, reishi and other stuff--sounds similar to the AHHC, but cheaper--might be worth looking at the www.aor.ca site where they give some info and research on the stuff. Best, Chris

shannah

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I'll look further. That particular link takes me elsewhere though. I think it might be www.aor.ca .