• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Agmatine

pattismith

@Iritu1021 ,

Last summer I had acute pain in my neck and thought it was herniated disc. After investigations the surgeon told me the stenosis was not significative.
Then I realized I had auto-immune thyroiditis and also Small Fiber Neuropathy. These two factors were very powerful to produce this sensory pain amplification you describe very well!!

Iritu1021

Breaking Through The Fog
@Iritu1021 ,

Last summer I had acute pain in my neck and thought it was herniated disc. After investigations, the surgeon told me the stenosis was not significative.
Then I realized I had auto-immune thyroiditis and also Small Fiber Neuropathy. These two factors were very powerful to produce this sensory pain amplification you describe very well!!
The 2 herniated discs were a new problem for me (more excruciating and with some loss of right arm use rather than purely confided to the neck as with my stenosis/os) but the neck pain I've had for at least ten years. Based on what I heard from the pain doctor I saw, it appears that the exact same radiological findings can cause excruciating pain in one person and no pain at all in another - which agrees with my personal observation that it's the baseline CNS settings that determine the pain. But at the same time nonpharmacalogical approach (yoga, traction, lacrosse ball, simply physical therapy exercises) do seem to really make a difference in the long term.