• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advocacy Alert: Write to NHLBI Director to Expedite WASF3 Clinical Trials

Dakota15

Hey PR, by now most have read the Washington Post feature highlighting the potential breakthrough in research on WASF3 in ME/CFS.

Since publishing, a few of us have written to Dr. Gary Gibbons (NHLBI Director) to help fund & expedite clinical trials at NHLBI. I'm sharing the template here below in case anyone else would like to message as well. Feel free to personalize if you desire of course. We just wanted NHLBI leadership in the very least to have this important development on their radar, and hopefully any increased attention would aid supportive efforts in any capacity moving forward.

If any questions or thoughts, let me know.

- Dakota

----

Message Template:

To: NHLBIinfo@nhlbi.nih.gov; gibbonsgh@mail.nih.gov

Subject: Please support ME/CFS research conducted by Dr. Paul Hwang

Dear Dr. Gary Gibbons,

I am writing to you in your capacity as director of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI). I read about Dr. Paul Hwang's potential breakthrough on WASF3 in ME/CFS, and his desire to run a drug trial, via The Washington Post, "She wrote to a scientist about her fatigue. It inspired a breakthrough."

Most exciting, Dr. Hwang now wants to conduct a drug trial.

My urgent request is that you please expedite your efforts to fund his lab — and specifically this trial.

The lack of research into ME/CFS over the decades has likely contributed to the current lack of treatments for Long COVID, as ME/CFS and Long COVID are quite similar or perhaps the same illness. For those who have been suffering from pre-COVID ME/CFS for decades without hope and for those suffering from Long COVID for going on four years, please make up for the decades of disbelief and neglect and deliver us the help that we have been denied for so long.

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxx'

Mary

Moderator Resource
Well - I added lead researcher Paul Hwang to the email and he replied to me already! He thanked me for my support and said that he was certain that Drs. Gibbons and intramural scientific director Dr. Richard Childs would support the planned exploratory treatment trial later next year.

You never know what will work - the email only takes a few minutes to do -