• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice needed re: immune system testing post-vaccination

Zebra

Hi, PR!

I was planning on trekking out to the lab tomorrow to catch up on some blood work.

One of the tests ordered is to measure Immunoglobulin A, M, and G levels.

It just occurred to me that it's only been 10/11 days since I received my second COVID vaccination, and I'm wondering if my Immunoglobulin levels (A, M, or G) might be "artificially" elevated due to a vaccine response, rather than a true measurement of my every day levels.

Additionally, my body had a ridiculous, over-the-top response to the second shot, so I feel confident stating that my immune system is revved up right now.

Would a few of you be so kind as to help me sort this out?

And, if you do think I should hold off on any immune system testing for a spell, how long? A month? Two months?

I was eager to have these results (as well as Beta 2 microglobulin) in time for an upcoming appointment, but I really don't want to get results that are possibly skewed by a vaccination response.

I thank you in advance for any insight you may have into the timing of such testing.

P.S. I am aware that the CDC guidelines say that the COVID vaccines won't interfer with "routine" blood work, but I don't consider these tests routine. Thanks.

Thanks!
Z

andyguitar

Here are the main points of some research from Yale medical school. Not peer reviewed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 22-30-58 Human IgG and IgA responses to COVID-19 mRNA vaccines - 2021...png
    Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 22-30-58 Human IgG and IgA responses to COVID-19 mRNA vaccines - 2021...png
    113.8 KB · Views: 26

Zebra

Hi, @andyguitar!

I really appreciate you responding to my thread. I rarely start my own thread on PR, but I need folks more knowledgeable than I to help me out here.

Unfortunately, I cannot ask the doctor who recommended these tests, because it was a one-time only video consult with a now-retired rheumatologist (looooong story there!).

I *really* appreciate the pertinent paragraph from the Yale journal. Thank you!

However, I am still confused about wether or not an *antigen* spike of IgG or IgA would only be a spike in IgG or IgA *antibodies*, or if this spike in antibodies would then raise the levels of IgG or IgA across the board?

I apologize if that is clearly stated in the article and I'm just not getting it. I tapped out my cognitive reserves earlier in the week. Would you be kind enough to let me know what you think?

My impression, based on the data you captured from the Yale article, is that I will have to postpone these particular lab tests for a significant amount of time if I want accurate results.

I received two doses of the Pfizer COVID vaccine. First dose just made me really tired for less than 24 hours. My response to the second dose was bizarre, but that's for a different thread. :)

Thanks again, Andy!

andyguitar

However, I am still confused about wether or not an *antigen* spike of IgG or IgA would only be a spike in IgG or IgA *antibodies*, or if this spike in antibodies would then raise the levels of IgG or IgA across the board?
The results are specific for the corona virus spike protein. The research was done to see how long the effect of the vaccine would last for. But I dont know if the tests you want to get would be able to determine if the levels of IgG and lgA would be abnormal due to the vaccine or for some other reason. One thing clear from this, and other research, is that having the jab has an effect on the immune system for months. Which is encouraging as it means protection against covid lasts.

Zebra

I am bumping up my own thread.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but I have a hard time believing I'm the only person on PR who has been fully vaccinated and is now concerned if immune system blood tests (see above) should be postponed to prevent erroneous findings.

Hope to hear from others!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but I have a hard time believing I'm the only person on PR who has been fully vaccinated and is now concerned if immune system blood tests (see above) should be postponed to prevent erroneous findings.

I'm not one of the brainy people here but I would think it would be safe to say wait if possible to have this testing done.

It seems reasonable that one thing would definitely impact the other since they both involve the immune system.

Hopefully, though others will chime in like maybe @godlovesatrier or @nerd ???

godlovesatrier

I've postponed 2 due to the covid vax.

I got my full blood tests privately the day before my 2nd jab and I won't be getting my auto antibody test for another week or two (until week 4 of the immune response is over and done with for my 2nd jab - as it takes 4 weeks for the immune system to do all it needs to do with the AZ Vaccine).

nerd

I think one month after the second jab is a reasonable time span to wait. After two weeks, the innate immune system might still adapt. Who knows how this reflects in immunoglobulins or whatever else you want to test.

Pyrrhus

It just occurred to me that it's only been 10/11 days since I received my second COVID vaccination, and I'm wondering if my Immunoglobulin levels (A, M, or G) might be "artificially" elevated due to a vaccine response, rather than a true measurement of my every day levels.

Yeah I'd say wait at least 4 weeks, 8 weeks if you want to be sure. But even without any recent vaccination, these levels can fluctuate, so one test by itself may not give the full picture.

Hope this helps.

Zebra

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions!

You've helped me decide, with certainly, that I should hold off on the Immunoglobulin level testing for 4 to 8 weeks, probably the latter.

I'm so mad at myself for not trying to accomplish this testing beforehand. Ugh!

Thanks again, folks!