• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adventures in lactoferrin

splusholia

Biofilms are known to inhabit mucus membranes which include the sinus area. Chronic infections that will not resolve with antibiotics are likely stuck in a biofilm environment. Lactoferrin is a naturally made chemical that has the primary use of preventing biofilms. Dr. William (Bill) Costerton was the grandfather of biofilm research, you should be able to find his research online.

Thanks for this information — really helpful. I’ve been reading Costerton’s research this morning and I’ve started a low dose of Lactoferrin. :thumbsup:

LINE

What natural antibiotics are available?

There are quite a few natural abx including neem, boswellia, myrrh, garlic, cinnamon, coconut oil (unrefined, virgin), graviola etc. Many of the essential oils have strong abx properties including black pepper, basil, lavender, frankincense (boswellia), sage, oregano etc. Dr. Jean Valnet wrote about these.

CBG (not CBD) is a powerful cannabinoid that has the ability to neutralize abx resistant bugs. CBG is a little tougher to find and a little more expensive.

Another good product is Nutricillin which has lactoferrin (low dose) but also has lysozyme as well. Lysozyme is another chemical produced by the body to fight infection. I have had decent results with it, price is affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antibiotics-2nd-Alternatives-Drug-resistant/dp/1603429875

Pathogens can or cannot react to certain abx, this is why using cocktails is a much better choice.

Last edited:

Crux

Now I'm back to healing the respiratory virus with high dose intranasal liposomal lactoferrin and oral lactoferrin. That's what is takes for this infection. for me. I've had this off and on since childhood.

Some treatments have worked temporarily, so I'll see what happens in time. I did add back some goldenseal tincture for inflammation. It used to be effective for the symptoms, but hasn't been enough in recent years.

Here's a recent paper regarding treatments for Covid 19 in patients. The dosage of lactoferrin increased with increasing severity of symptoms.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8469309/

dave11

Here's a recent paper regarding treatments for Covid 19 in patients. The dosage of lactoferrin increased with increasing severity of symptoms.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8469309/

The above link is quite interesting.

To add to that information, when the antihistamine diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is taken in addition to lactoferrin, the cumulative effect may be greater than either taken alone. This peer reviewed article suggests a possible potent synergistic effect on the inhibition of viral replication:

"Lactoferrin (400 μg/mL) was able to decrease N-protein RNA copies by 28.0% 48 h after infection, compared to DMSO alone controls while 40 μg/mL diphenhydramine alone resulted in 32.2% reduction. When combined, they inhibited 99.97% of N-protein RNA copies, a 3-log reduction that was highly significant. These data demonstrate that combinations of two over-the-counter compounds, with well characterized safety profiles, have synergistic effects on inhibition of SARS-CoV-2."
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0817/10/11/1514/htm

Crux

To add to that information, when the antihistamine diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is taken in addition to lactoferrin, the cumulative effect may be greater than either taken alone. This peer reviewed article suggests a possible potent synergistic effect on the inhibition of viral replication:

Say, that looks very promising, I may just try adding some diphenhydramine to the lactoferrin.
Years ago, I had a negative reaction to benadryl , probably because it's an anticholinergic.
Now though, I'm sure to get enough choline so I probably won't have that reaction, I hope.

I don't have covid, but this recurrent respiratory virus is kind of killing me.

Thanks so much !

Crux

I did add the diphenhydramine, ( Benadryl ) to the lactoferrin (blf) yesterday. I'm feeling better today, but it's tstt if it is the cause.

I didn't have a negative reaction to the Benadryl .One good sign is I slept pretty well last night. I trialed the B. for insomnia years ago. It worsened my insomnia.
(must be the choline helping)

Lactoferrin and diphenhydramine, individually have antiviral properties against other viruses, and they amplify each other, so this may be a good treatment for viruses in general. affordable, easy access. It' a stretch but we'll see.

I would really like to lower the dose of blf, the addition of the Benadryl may enable that.

Thanks again @dave11

dave11

I did add the diphenhydramine, ( Benadryl ) to the lactoferrin (blf) yesterday. I'm feeling better today, but it's tstt if it is the cause.

Time will tell. I said a prayer for you. :)

In case you have not considered it, you might be interested in researching black cumin seed oil (nigella sativa). Its antiviral effect is said to be enhanced by honey. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7338708/
Also, possibly by zinc. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8204995/

Shanti1

Administrator
This thread and the info on lactoferrin and biofilms have inspired me to give lactoferrin a try. The first "stealth" infection I identified was a heavy candida krusei infection in 2015, which I treated with natural antifungals (C. krusei is inherently resistant to nystatin and azole meds). Even though my tests now come back clean, I wonder about residual populations in biofilms since I'm highly reactive to carbs and can still get a thick white coating on the tongue. All species of candida are particularly adept at forming biofilms and there are some in vitro and insect larva studies showing that C. krusei is susceptible to apo-lactoferrin and lysozyme.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There are quite a few natural abx including neem, boswellia, myrrh, garlic, cinnamon, coconut oil (unrefined, virgin), graviola etc. Many of the essential oils have strong abx properties including black pepper, basil, lavender, frankincense (boswellia), sage, oregano etc. Dr. Jean Valnet wrote about these.

CBG (not CBD) is a powerful cannabinoid that has the ability to neutralize abx resistant bugs. CBG is a little tougher to find and a little more expensive.

Another good product is Nutricillin which has lactoferrin (low dose) but also has lysozyme as well. Lysozyme is another chemical produced by the body to fight infection. I have had decent results with it, price is affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antibiotics-2nd-Alternatives-Drug-resistant/dp/1603429875

Pathogens can or cannot react to certain abx, this is why using cocktails is a much better choice.
Very interesting, thanks

Crux

It looks like the combination of Benadryl ( 50mg.) and Lactoferrin is working against this lower respiratory infection very well.
The lungs feel much less inflamed and cough is less intense, with coughing up some mucus now, good.

Sleep was great last night, energy is pretty good, not as drawn to the couch.
Skin lesions healing. Gut improving.

I'll be trying to lower the lactoferrin dose ( which was very high), because I woke with paresthesia and lower leg cramps. Lactoferrin binds calcium and magnesium. I'm sensitive to low calcium.

LINE

It looks like the combination of Benadryl ( 50mg.) and Lactoferrin is working against this lower respiratory infection very well.
The lungs feel much less inflamed and cough is less intense, with coughing up some mucus now, good.

Sleep was great last night, energy is pretty good, not as drawn to the couch.
Skin lesions healing. Gut improving.

I'll be trying to lower the lactoferrin dose ( which was very high), because I woke with paresthesia and lower leg cramps. Lactoferrin binds calcium and magnesium. I'm sensitive to low calcium.

That is great news and thanks for posting your results. I am presuming that worked pretty quickly. Thanks @dave11 for posting this study.

Crux

That is great news and thanks for posting your results. I am presuming that worked pretty quickly. Thanks @dave11 for posting this study.

It did begin to help pretty quickly, though I'm still in the battle. The virus is slow to clear, but progress is being made.

I am needing more choline I think. Took 3 tablets, ( 75 mg. total) of Benadryl yesterday. Shortened my sleep.

LINE

It did begin to help pretty quickly, though I'm still in the battle. The virus is slow to clear, but progress is being made.

I am needing more choline I think. Took 3 tablets, ( 75 mg. total) of Benadryl yesterday. Shortened my sleep.

Vitamin D status? Dosing high MG of Vitamin C has always been a go to for me. In critical situations, I dosed on the hour, every hour.

Crux

Vitamin D status? Dosing high MG of Vitamin C has always been a go to for me. In critical situations, I dosed on the hour, every hour.

Thanks !
Well, I'm a bit on the odd side, but I've been able to figure out why in some cases.
Vitamin D low, it enhances calcium uptake, but also phosphorus. I don't do well with excess phosphorus.
Magnesium, when last checked was highest normal. This can happen with kidney disease, but also with low
calcium, as mg. can be a calcium antagonist.
Vitamin C enhances iron uptake. I have iron overload and feel kind of awful with high doses of it.
Smaller doses ok.

(I suspect I have underfunctioning parathyroid glands. Will test in coming months. Mother and sister had prolonged qt intervals, often indicative of low calcium, which can happen with low parathyroid.)

I'm lowering the Benadryl to 25 mg. a day. It does help with the virus inhibition, but that's the amount I can tolerate. It did teach me that I need more choline, glad to know.( other symptoms too, choline wise)

Meanwhile, with the lactoferrin nasal spray, symptoms are less, lower lung inflammation, less coughing, not explosive as before. Much better

Gut is getting better. I've never had normal gut function. Still taking 250-500 mg. total lactoferrin capsules a day.

Fatigue is lower, but have a long way to go .

dave11

Besides iron-binding (apo-lactoferrin), and biofilm disruption, lactoferrin is an "alarmin". Quoting this study:

"Lactoferrin is a 80 KDa protein that belongs to the transferrin superfamily, which binds Fe cations with high affinity (1, 2). It is secreted in an iron-free form from many epithelial cells into most exocrine fluids, particularly milk. In humans, its concentration varies from about 1 to 7 mg/ml in milk and in colostrum, respectively (3). Lactoferrin is a major component of the secondary granules of neutrophils, which, like many granule components, is released through degranulation upon neutrophil activation (4, 5). During inflammation, lactoferrin levels of the biologic fluids increase dramatically. This is particularly noticeable in blood, where lactoferrin concentration can be as low as 0.5∼1 μg/ml under normal conditions, but increases to 200 μg/ml with systemic bacterial infection (6, 7). Recent reports indicate that lactoferrin expression in both neutrophils and epithelial cells can be induced (8, 9).

Lactoferrin is multifunctional and has a widely accepted antimicrobial effect against bacteria, viruses, fungi, and some parasites (10). One mechanism by which lactoferrin exerts it antimicrobial effect depends on its iron-binding property that enables lactoferrin to sequester iron required for bacterial growth (10, 11). Lactoferrin is also capable of binding to glycosaminoglycans (in particular to heparan sulphate) of mucosal epithelial cells, resulting in the inhibition of microbial adhesion, colonization, and subsequent development of infection at mucosal surfaces (10, 12). Furthermore, lactoferrin has direct microbicidal activity that is independent of its iron-binding property (10, 12-14).

In addition to its antimicrobial effect, it has also been reported that lactoferrin has a variety of effects on host immune system, ranging from inhibition of inflammation to promotion of both innate and adaptive immune responses (10, 15). Interestingly, recombinant human lactoferrin (talactoferrin, TLF) has recently been used as a therapeutic agent against several cancers with positive results (16, 17), including in clinical trials (18). While the anti-inflammatory activity of lactoferrin is largely due to binding and neutralization of proinflammatory molecules such as bacterial endotoxin and soluble CD14, its capacity to promote innate immune responses is often explained by the ability of lactoferrin to promote activation of neutrophils and macrophages (10, 15, 19). We hypothesized that lactoferrin might also have direct receptor-dependent activating effect on antigen- presenting cells (APCs) including dendritic cells (DCs), thereby mobilizing and alerting the adaptive immune system.

Here we show for the first time the ability of recombinant human GMP-quality lactoferrin to recruit and activate APCs, and to enhance antigen-specific immune responses. These functional characteristics of lactoferrin are also shared by alarmins, a group of endogenous mediators of the immune system that link innate and adaptive immunity by promoting the recruitment and activation of APCs (20). Therefore, lactoferrin may act as an alarmin and rapidly mount responses to danger signals."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2408856/

GlassCannonLife

Besides iron-binding (apo-lactoferrin), and biofilm disruption, lactoferrin is an "alarmin". Quoting this study:

"Lactoferrin is a 80 KDa protein that belongs to the transferrin superfamily, which binds Fe cations with high affinity (1, 2). It is secreted in an iron-free form from many epithelial cells into most exocrine fluids, particularly milk. In humans, its concentration varies from about 1 to 7 mg/ml in milk and in colostrum, respectively (3). Lactoferrin is a major component of the secondary granules of neutrophils, which, like many granule components, is released through degranulation upon neutrophil activation (4, 5). During inflammation, lactoferrin levels of the biologic fluids increase dramatically. This is particularly noticeable in blood, where lactoferrin concentration can be as low as 0.5∼1 μg/ml under normal conditions, but increases to 200 μg/ml with systemic bacterial infection (6, 7). Recent reports indicate that lactoferrin expression in both neutrophils and epithelial cells can be induced (8, 9).

Lactoferrin is multifunctional and has a widely accepted antimicrobial effect against bacteria, viruses, fungi, and some parasites (10). One mechanism by which lactoferrin exerts it antimicrobial effect depends on its iron-binding property that enables lactoferrin to sequester iron required for bacterial growth (10, 11). Lactoferrin is also capable of binding to glycosaminoglycans (in particular to heparan sulphate) of mucosal epithelial cells, resulting in the inhibition of microbial adhesion, colonization, and subsequent development of infection at mucosal surfaces (10, 12). Furthermore, lactoferrin has direct microbicidal activity that is independent of its iron-binding property (10, 12-14).

In addition to its antimicrobial effect, it has also been reported that lactoferrin has a variety of effects on host immune system, ranging from inhibition of inflammation to promotion of both innate and adaptive immune responses (10, 15). Interestingly, recombinant human lactoferrin (talactoferrin, TLF) has recently been used as a therapeutic agent against several cancers with positive results (16, 17), including in clinical trials (18). While the anti-inflammatory activity of lactoferrin is largely due to binding and neutralization of proinflammatory molecules such as bacterial endotoxin and soluble CD14, its capacity to promote innate immune responses is often explained by the ability of lactoferrin to promote activation of neutrophils and macrophages (10, 15, 19). We hypothesized that lactoferrin might also have direct receptor-dependent activating effect on antigen- presenting cells (APCs) including dendritic cells (DCs), thereby mobilizing and alerting the adaptive immune system.

Here we show for the first time the ability of recombinant human GMP-quality lactoferrin to recruit and activate APCs, and to enhance antigen-specific immune responses. These functional characteristics of lactoferrin are also shared by alarmins, a group of endogenous mediators of the immune system that link innate and adaptive immunity by promoting the recruitment and activation of APCs (20). Therefore, lactoferrin may act as an alarmin and rapidly mount responses to danger signals."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2408856/

Does lactoferin sequester free iron ie you will slowly become iron deficient? Or the mechanism shields physiological function somehow.

Very interesting about diphenhydramine having antiviral effects! It's the first I've heard of it - is this common knowledge.? Do we know what viruses it has activity against?

Learner1

Does lactoferin sequester free iron ie you will slowly become iron deficient? Or the mechanism shields physiological function somehow.
Good question. Conversely, what would it do to someone with hemachromatosis, genetic iron overload? Would it be helpful in this case?
Very interesting about diphenhydramine having antiviral effects! It's the first I've heard of it - is this common knowledge.? Do we know what viruses it has activity against?
it hasn't done anything for my HHV6 ... What viruses does it help with?

And, is there a version that is corn and milk free for those that are allergic to these?

Crux

Here's a study that shows lactoferrin improving Iron deficiency over iron supplements alone ;

https://ijma.journals.ekb.eg/article_34024.html

"Conclusion: lactoferrin is a better substitute for elementary iron in treatment of iron deficiency. "

This is a great paper regarding many uses of Lf including Anemia of Inflammation ;

https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/7/1323/htm

"Hence, even if more studies are needed to unveil the molecular mechanisms underlying bLf anti-inflammatory activity, this evidence strongly supports our idea that the bLf efficacy in curing AI is directly connected to its ability to decrease IL-6 synthesis [4,50] thus modulating hepcidin and/or Fpn, the most pivotal actors in systemic iron homeostasis [16,74]."