• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal Crisis?

Paralee

I'm low cortisol, but I've been getting worse. This evening I started feeling really bad.

I've gotten worse, thrown up once, feeling like it will come on again (getting nauseous) feel dizzy. I've taken some HC and using cortisone cream but it's coming back.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I took this from Medlineplus.gov:

Treatment
In adrenal crisis, you need to be given the drug hydrocortisone right away through a vein (intravenous) or muscle (intramuscular). You may receive intravenous fluids if you have low blood pressure.
You will need to go to the hospital for treatment and monitoring. If infection or another medical problem caused the crisis, you may need additional treatment.

The website goes on to say this can be life threatening. I'm just really concerned for you. Please take care.

Paralee

nanonug, no I have not been diagnosed, which I guess is a good thing. When I went to the ER my cortisol was 40, but I know (I think) it was low initially, what other things have those symptoms. My morning cortisols are less than 6, sometimes I feel bad from about 9 am or so until maybe about 4 pm. I can feel myself going down, and same back up.

But I've been given two ACTH stim tests and passed both of them. I guess it's time to look elsewhere.
Thanks for all the postings to everyone on this thread. I'm bumfuzzled.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
hi @Paralee

how are you?

I do not know my current cortisol levels but last August in hospital my pm levels were normal yet I am bedridden with horrible low cortisol levels it seems and feels ...that makes many nights and mornings nearly impossible to explain how awful I feel plus normal amounts of awful throughout day. I was evaluated twice last year for addisons and they said nope. Which is great but something is surely up and I have had considerable stress past two years.

I am not able to try much new right now or even get out for simple drs appointments easily but was wondering if you have improved your cortisol levels?

It is really scary and I often have fears I am going to die from these hormones being out of whack, did you ever feel that way?

I haven't met a lot of people like me and just was wondering if you've found any tips that have helped.

Paralee

@sunshine44 , I think I'd get several morning cortisol levels taken between 8-9 AM. Also get an aldosterone and ACTH level with it.....several times if you haven't already. PM levels were normal in the hospital? Circadian rhythm? I'm wondering if you have any morning cortisol levels to compare with a nite time one?

There are places you can get blood tests without going to the dr. first if you can't make it to the dr.'s. Then if they're off you'd maybe be able to find a way to get in to see one. Also a saliva test that does 3-4 times in a 24 hour period.

I know it's hard as heck to get up and go, even to the dr.'s appt.....I've had to reschedule several because I couldn't get out of bed...….that's a low point for sure.

I rubbed some cortisone cream on me a few times and waited awhile to see if it helped, maybe not recommended, but IMO a starting place if the others things aren't doable right now. Just a suggestion, it may be something else making cortisol go low? I also don't seem to need the HC all the time, that's why I call it my bi-polar cortisol. Very strange. (I'm still arguing with my endo about this).

I felt like I was going to die when I had hyperparathyroidism, it seems to be a common feeling among us paras, we honest to God felt like we were dying, there was no doubt.

(I just noticed I was edited a few months ago, might have been on a rant, my apologies to the mod, and I hope I didn't just do it again on this one)

@Crux has a good suggestion if you're low cortisol, plus I know from my levels whether my potassium and sodium can take any supplements (i.e., they're not on the high side), and there are some signs I've figured out. If I get angry with no reason it's potassium time, works for me. Also being sleepy for no known reason and getting worse, it's sodium time. I think some people use vit. C also.
This is the second time I've written this post and it's still too long, my apologies.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
thank you, no I have no morning cortisols to compare it to except 3 years ago and it was high but I was walking and functioning back then.

Paralee

@sunshine44 , good luck. There's some things you can check and see what your body does at home, also. One is watching your pupils with a light in a dark room, and I can't remember more, but google and you should find them.