• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

administering the drug straight into the brain via implanted ports

Hufsamor

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324566.php

A series of clinical trials have tested an experimental treatment for Parkinson's disease that uses a novel approach: administering the drug straight into the brain via implanted ports. The leading researchers believe this may be a "breakthrough" therapeutic strategy for neurological conditions.

When they analyzed the results of the first 9-month (40-week) trial, the researchers saw no changes in the brains of participants who had received a placebo. However, they noted that volunteers who had received the GDNF treatment had a 100 percent improvement in the putamen, the brain region which contains dopamine-producing cells.

Last edited:

Hufsamor

As far as I understand,
it's now proven a brain inflammation in me/cfs.

And some of the headache is how to reduce brain inflammation,
as the blood-brain barrier will stop most medications.

That's why I find this study interesting.

"This is a significant breakthrough in our ability to treat neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's because most drugs that might work cannot cross from the bloodstream into the brain due to a natural protective barrier."

Wishful

There's something called intrathecal injection, which isn't directly into the brain, but into either the spinal column or the fluid around the brain. Either way, it bypasses the BBB. Not sure if it works for all drugs. Hopefully treatment for ME won't require such drastic means.