• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acutely transforming RV expressing Nras generated by XMRV-infected fibrosarcoma cells

subtr4ct

Link.

Acutely transforming retrovirus expressing Nras generated from HT-1080 fibrosarcoma cells infected with XMRV.
Metzger MJ, Miller AD.

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, Washington 98109-1024, USA.

Abstract
Virus from HT-1080 fibrosarcoma cells infected with the human retrovirus XMRV (xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus) can induce rare foci of transformation in rat 208F fibroblasts. Characterization of three such foci revealed that one produced an acutely transforming virus at high titer. The virus consists of a mutant Nras cDNA from the HT-1080 cells inserted into a retroviral vector (added to the HT-1080 cells as a marker for infection) in place of internal vector sequences. These results show that XMRV can generate acutely transforming viruses at a low rate, as is typical of other replication-competent retroviruses, and reveal the potential for transforming virus contamination of retroviral vectors made from transformed cell lines.

PMID: 20504941 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

hvs

Bwaa? Wow, I can usually parse these abstracts--doc restored my cognitive ability long ago--but this one just has me scratching my head....

JillBohr

Bwaa? Wow, I can usually parse these abstracts--doc restored my cognitive ability long ago--but this one just has me scratching my head....
Same here. I was hoping that Natasa or Gerwyn would help us out here. My interpretation is that XMRV allows other viruses to fester. I am probably WAY OFF. I am very prejudice since I have been focusing on ASD kiddos having higher rates of other viruses. I have a one track mind. Again, Gerwyn and Natasa, please help out here.