• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acupressure For Stomach and Digestive Issues

Rufous McKinney

I'm exploring this topic as I've developed some issues with gastroperesis, and I generally deal with IBS-d issues, ME variety.

So there are some points that could be stimulated to see if they might be helpful.

I found these four points on line. There is also another main point on the wrist.

this info I am posting below- is preliminary (for me, as i just started looking into it) and once you know what points to look for, better directions likely exist.

I'm considering using biomagnets on some of these points to experiment. If a point, upon stimulation, is very sore, go slowly at the location- it suggests something is sensitive there, and to persevere.

https://balancecharleston.com/blog/2020/11/25/4-acupressure-points-to-improve-digestion

I'm curious if anyone else has tried these methods.

The sternum point shown has been VERY sore on me lately, but it varies.

My experiment starts- tomorrow.

Rufous McKinney

Here is a link to the wrist point P-6....used for various gastrointestinal issues.

https://exploreim.ucla.edu/self-care/acupressure-point-p6/

This cites a study that suggests it may help with motility.

"It is cited in many research studies that the stimulation of Nei Guan (P6) alleviates nausea and vomiting in pregnancy[1] and also helps prevent post-operative nausea and vomiting [2]. The Journal of Autonomic Neuroscience also published an article that showed P6 and Zu San Li (ST36) have a combined, synergistic effect on gastrointestinal motility [3]. In another study, Nei Guan has also been shown to help alleviate intractable hiccups [4]."

FYI: I had severe morning sickness for all pregnancies and i used these points (acupressure, as nobody will do needles on PG women) and they DID NOT HELP my severe condition.

lenora

I'm exploring this topic as I've developed some issues with gastroperesis, and I generally deal with IBS-d issues, ME variety.

So there are some points that could be stimulated to see if they might be helpful.

I found these four points on line. There is also another main point on the wrist.

this info I am posting below- is preliminary (for me, as i just started looking into it) and once you know what points to look for, better directions likely exist.

I'm considering using biomagnets on some of these points to experiment. If a point, upon stimulation, is very sore, go slowly at the location- it suggests something is sensitive there, and to persevere.

https://balancecharleston.com/blog/2020/11/25/4-acupressure-points-to-improve-digestion

I'm curious if anyone else has tried these methods.

The sternum point shown has been VERY sore on me lately, but it varies.

My experiment starts- tomorrow.

It's certainly worth a try, Rufous. Personally speaking I've never had any luck with digestive problems and using acupressure BUT I would never discourage anyone from trying something like acupressure.

I have had fortune in using acupressure to help with problems in other parts of my body. So who know? Lenora.

Rufous McKinney

It's certainly worth a try,

I"m using some biomagnets I possess already. I wore them last night for about 5 hours. Did not wear while sleeping. So I Put the magnets over the P-6 point. Wrapped with that nifty new stretchy elastic bandage stuff you can buy.

And frankly it seemed like I had less sloshing this morning. So perhaps it did help.

I'll try again tonite. I can't do it constantly- as, well the elastic I can't wear constantly.

kangaSue

This link leads to John Hopkins where they are studying a wrist device which uses mild electrical stimulation to address varoius gastro issues- around this point P-6 (see link on prior post).
The Johns Hopkins device is still in development as far as I can ascertain. The Apollo Neuro wearable device is a similar thing but uses mechanical vibration therapy (to either the P-6 or SP-6 acupressure points) rather than electrostimulation.
https://apolloneuro.com/

Did you see this thread about the Apollo device;
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/sympathetic-stuck-on-on.82340/
I have chronic gastroparesis and am still using the improvised 'vibration device' as outlined in this thread and am still getting benefit from it (mostly improvement in abdominal pain, but also some improvement in intolerance of some foods, and a general overall feeling of better mental wellbeing) from applying vibration to the SP 6 spot during the day, and just sitting it on my lower abdomen at night (which puts me to sleep quickly and hubby turns it off when he retires for the night)

I've tried the REN-12 point with vibration but even the lowest setting on my device is too intense for that spot and just increases my epigastric pain and makes me nauseous.

I'm still looking for something more discrete that is more reasonably priced than the Apollo device. A couple of breast feeding massage aids may fit the bill here, the Milk Mate Lactation Massager or the LaVie Lactation Manager.