• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acid / Alkaline Burns --- Could They Cause Leaky Gut Syndrome; Other GI Issues ?

Wayne

I watched an excellent YouTube video today, and learned many new things about GI issues/problems, many of which are prevalent among pwCFS. — Highly acidic hydrochloric acid (HCL) is secreted in the stomach for digestion, but it's generally not a problem because the stomach is designed to protect itself from this acid. However, the rest of the GI tract cannot protect itself from HCL, so when food saturated with HCL enters the intestinal tract, it is imperative it become neutralized. If it isn't, it can create acid burns along the entire length of the intestinal tract.

This 22-Minute Video describes that what neutralizes this HCL is highly-alkaline bile, secreted by the gall bladder into the intestinal tract. If the gallbladder is congested and unable to secrete the necessary amounts of neutralizing bile (up to a quart a day), then acid burns can occur along the entire 30-foot long intestinal tract. Interestingly, if the gallbladder tries to "squirt" the bile but is unable to, the bile can back up into the liver, and even into the pancreas and surrounding areas, causing what's referred to as alkaline burns. If it affects the pancreas, it can be a contributing factor in diabetes.

I've seen many threads/posts on PR about leaky gut syndrome, various gut issues like constipation, probiotics for gut health, etc., but I don't recall ever seeing anything about acid and/or alkaline burns. Makes me wonder if they could be responsible for some of the gut issues pwCFS deal with. — I learned from this video that bile is also important for stimulating peristalsis, and kills bacterial and fungal overgrowths (such as candida). It also kills all sorts of parasites and other unwanted visitors in our systems (over 50% of our immune system resides in the gut). It all makes me wonder whether some of our gut issues stem from a congested liver and/or gallbladder.

As I watched this video, I sort of kept wondering what its “gig” was. Toward the end, they mentioned some products they sell that they feel are solutions to some of the problems presented. I didn’t have a problem with that, but thought I’d mention this in case others might. I actually thought they were some pretty innovative products, ones I had never heard of before. Though I don’t expect to purchase them myself, I’ve already thought of more affordable alternatives that may work well for me.

Best, Wayne

Last edited:

Rand56

Hi Wayne

It is a great video and thanks for sharing it. If you don't mind saying, what other alternatives have you thought about using?

Rand

Wayne

I'm continuing to research liver/gallbladder and gallstone issues this morning, and just ran across this "snippet" as it pertains to weight gain:
When your gallbladder is overloaded, filled with stones, and not functioning properly, your liver
suffers. When your liver suffers, your fat doesn’t get digested! Fat not digested = fat stored...

FACT:
There are millions of people who are overweight, out of those millions 75 % are suffering from
obesity due to a fatty liver and overworked gallbladder!

Last edited:

Wayne

If you don't mind saying, what other alternatives have you thought about using?

Hi Rand, I took note of some of the ingredients they have in their suppositories, and realized I could easily add them to my regular coffee enemas at a much lower cost. The amino acids glycine and taurine are both excellent for liver/gallbladder health [mentioned at the 16-min. mark in the video] as they emulsify hardened fats and cholesterol that cause so much damage. I noticed I can get both of them in bulk for a little over $10/pound, so I plan to get those, plus some other products like bulk dandelion tea, etc. that be helpful for liver/gallbladder issues. I don't have a full list yet, but it seems I can add a number of relatively low-cost items for FAR less than the suppositories they sell.

I think they actually have a very good idea selling their coffee suppositories, as most people are never going to make the time and effort to do coffee enemas to detoxify their liver/gallbladder. But I suspect many would be willing to do suppositories, and reap many benefits as a result. I mentioned in my earlier post how a clogged gallbladder can lead to weight gain; I suspect many people would happily put up with the cost and minor inconvenience of suppositories if they could lose weight and feel better besides.

Best, Wayne

Last edited:

*GG*

Hi Rand, I took note of some of the ingredients they have in their suppositories, and realized I could easily add them to my regular coffee enemas at a much lower cost. The amino acids glycine and taurine are both excellent for liver/gallbladder health as they emulsify hardened fats and cholesterol that cause so much damage. I noticed I can get both of them in bulk for a little over $10/pound, so I plan to get those, plus some other products like bulk dandelion tea, etc. that be helpful for liver/gallbladder issues. I don't have a full list yet, but it seems I can add a number of relatively low-cost items for FAR less than the suppositories they sell.

I think they actually have a very good idea selling their coffee suppositories, as most people are never going to make the time and effort to do coffee enemas to reduced excessive toxicity in their bodies. But I suspect many would be willing to do suppositories, and reap many benefits as a result. I mentioned in my earlier post how a clogged gallbladder can lead to weight gain; I suspect many people would happily put up with the cost and minor inconvenience of suppositories if they could lose weight and feel better besides.

Best, Wayne

@Wayne Where does one buy a supplement such as Taurine in bulk? I recently started taking this, and think I paid much more than $10/pound!

GG

Wayne

I've been doing a fair amount of research recently on liver/gb issues, and am more and more convinced how important they are to address. Since taking a lot more apple cider vinegar, malic acid, taurine and glycine (and more) the past few weeks, my digestion has gradually (but significantly) improved. Without even really trying I've lost over ten pounds during this same time. Apparently, if fats aren't being digested properly because of a lack of bile, the body pushes them just outside the intestinal wall and stores the undigested fats as waste. Some think this is major reason for so much obesity, which seems like a plausible explanation as to why so many people have extra weight around their mid-section.

I used to only be able to eat relatively small amount of fresh raw vegetables, otherwise I'd get a fair amount of GI distress. With my improved digestion, I'm now able to eat as much raw food as I want without any problems. So I've started blending rather high quantities of greens and sprouts into my daily green smoothie drink, which has been a big boost for my overall health. I've been doing some fairly mild anti-parasitic stuff as well, primarily benign and inexpensive diatomaceous earth (which is supposed to be especially good for bone and cartilage health).

One last interesting point on the liver/gb stuff. I've long read that as much as 80% of our immune system function takes place within our GI tract. Apparently, the part of the GI tract that comprises the largest part of this immune function is located at the area where the gallbladder releases bile to neutralize the acidic food from the stomach (duodenum area). I just ran across a tip yesterday on a YouTube video that if we ever feel a need to boost our immune system, stimulate in some manner the nerves in our upper back (between the shoulder blades) that supply nerve energy to the upper intestinal tract. Makes sense; perhaps I'll try stimulating it 12 hours a day and see if I recover from CFS! :)

Last edited:

Wayne

Another thing I've been thinking about lately is that since the liver/gb are so important to overall immune function, can we ever expect to get significantly better if we don't having them functioning at least reasonably well? I've long heard and understood that antibiotics, anti-virals, herbal remedies, etc. can only do so much; that in the end our own immune systems have to knock out any lingering infection(s). Could this ever be possible with serious compromised liver/gb function? I'm thinking not.

Last edited:

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
alkaline burns.
Thanks so much for posting the video and the theory behind. My big question is: can one diagnose alkaline or acid burns? I imagine some blood marker of damaged cells or so....? I am always hesitant if companies make such videos but do not provide diagnostic criteria...

I have a part of it: a valid way of measuring stomach acid at home, if anyone interested let me know. Its not simple, my father failed several times to get it right :) me actually too, the first time, but at least its non-invasive. But the alkaline burns ( or equally acid burns) is what I would love to know how to test!
Thanks anyone for hints!!

kangaSue

Thanks so much for posting the video and the theory behind. My big question is: can one diagnose alkaline or acid burns? I imagine some blood marker of damaged cells or so....? I am always hesitant if companies make such videos but do not provide diagnostic criteria...

I have a part of it: a valid way of measuring stomach acid at home, if anyone interested let me know. Its not simple, my father failed several times to get it right :) me actually too, the first time, but at least its non-invasive. But the alkaline burns ( or equally acid burns) is what I would love to know how to test!
Thanks anyone for hints!!
Yes, I'm interested to know how you measure stomach acidity.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
interested to know how you measure stomach acidity.
Meanwhile I have posted it here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ith-low-stomach-acid.45191/page-2#post-746862
To say it clearly, this measurement method does not deliver you a number like "your stomach ph is x". but it delivers you a number that is proportional to the increase of stomach acid that you have when you eat a meal. And there are some comparison values what healthy numbers are. With all these limitations, the method is sufficient to judge wether your stomach produces enough acid when digesting a meal.