• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Absinthe protocol

K

_Kim_

Artemisia genus

I have been fascinated with the history and art of absinthe for some time. 20 years ago, I made a batch of homemade wormwood elixir - back when Absinthe was still banned from the U.S. Thats right until November 2007 - it was still off limits to drinkers in the United States as it had been for 95 years. My elixir was tasty and I got a little loopy on it :)

There are some funny and beautiful Absinthe posters that were produced at the height of the Absinthe boom in the late 19th century.

419250_Absinthe-Robette.jpg

Worth mentioning is that the most common member of the Artemisia family, Mugwort (Artemisia Vulgaris), grows wild in huge stands along our road-sides and at the edge of woods here in the Northeast. It is used in TCM in its dried form and is burned as moxibustion. It also contains artemisins and has been in use as an anti-malarial drug in some countries.

Chris

Yes, but..

Hi, Levi and Kim--sounds like fun--and Kim, I love your poster almost as much as your great Egon Schiele avatar--but I hope you are not offering this seriously! There is pretty good evidence that Artesunate is more effective than straight Artemisinin, which is as you say the main active ingredient in wormwood, and since Artesunate is available otc in the US (wish it were in Canada--I had to take the risk of importing it under the ever watchful protective eyes of Canada Customs and Health Canada) I do recommend it as the way to go.

On the other hand, Cheney also uses wormwood elixir "swish and spit"; in view of the possibility of side effects if either is used too much and too often, I wish I knew the rationale for his combo --my instinct is leaning towards using more Artesunate and no elixir. If anyone has inside info on why Cheney is dong this, please let me/us know!
Best, Chris

Hysterical Woman

Absinthe

Seeing that Dr Cheney is pitching Artesunate/artemesins as therapy for CFS http://www.cheneyresearch.com/topic/xmrv

So there is little available in the peer reviewed literature on its efficacy as an anti-retroviral. I am just throwing this out there for the more adventurous/desparate among us to reflect on, in the same vein and in keeping with my previous Thalidomide and cough syrup postings.

Hic!!!!!!!

K

_Kim_

@ Chris

No, Chris, these are just some musings about Artemesias and Absinthe in general. They are in a genus that contains Thujone, so caution is definitely warranted (though the Thujone is distilled out of commercial Absinthe). Though Artemisia annua (Sweet Annie) is easy to grow and can be made into herbal preparations that have traditionally been used in small dosages.

I just read about an Artemisin gel that is sold by Allergy Research Group. Transdermal application might be another mode of treatment.

FYI, another member of the genus is Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus) - a favorite seasoning in French cuisine.

Here's one of my favorites. "Bois donc, tu verras apres", means: just drink and you will see
Maquette_Absinthe_7-430x575.jpg

Chris

Ah...

Kim, thanks for another great poster and reassurance--I was not really worried, but since this forum hosts people trying to produce homemade Immunovir and other rather far--out projects, and since I really am trying to think about the best way to get maximum benefit with minimum harm out of the artemisinins, anything (almost) seemed possible. Maybe I'll dissolve/suspend my Artesunate in a small glass of sherry while looking at your posters... Best, Chris

Frank

The alcohol will not be tolerated by 99% of us and i think it will make matters worse.

K

_Kim_

The alcohol will not be tolerated by 99% of us and i think it will make matters worse.

Right, and you'd have to drink a whole lot of absinthe to get a high enough dosage of artemisins (only .33% wormwood by volume).

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
I tried Absinthe once in the South of France. It made me dizzy, hallucinate and then I was violently sick. Very bad hangovers and dreams after a small amount. Alcohol is bad for me anyway.

Woodworm as a herbal remedy also gives me the vivid, frightening dreams but I've not tried the Cheney sip, spit method and it's been years since I tried it.

Obviously, I am happy to try anything that will improve this disease and I would proceed with caution if I went ahead with the treatment.

Patient 2

I had absinthe in Ukraine many years ago. Like Alice I was hallucinating, felt really bad. And I was healthy then! I think it would kill me now!

ramakentesh

Couple of comments - your average garden-grade sage bush contains nearly twice as much thujone as wormwood. Thujone doesnt really cause brain damage, but it does reduce GABA activity and makes people more prone to seizures by lifting the threshold.
There was a story of a nuch of horses that all ate lots of sage bushes and then became paralysed until they were removed from that field.

I dont have alcohol intolerance generally. I can feel better sometimes with a small amount. Makes me unusual.

Jenny

Artesunate

I took artesunate for 4 months (20mg x 4 per day).

Nothing.

But perhaps dosage was wrong, should have pulsed etc etc

Jenny