• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A stem-loop RNA RIG-I agonist confers prophylactic and therapeutic protection against acute and chronic SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice

Boba

Abstract

As SARS-CoV-2 continues to cause morbidity and mortality around the world, there is an urgent need for the development of effective medical countermeasures. Here, we assessed the antiviral capacity of a minimal RIG-I agonist, stem-loop RNA 14 (SLR14), in viral control, disease prevention, post-infection therapy, and cross-variant protection in mouse models of SARS-CoV-2 infection. A single dose of SLR14 prevented viral replication in the lower respiratory tract and development of severe disease in a type I interferon (IFN-I) dependent manner. SLR14 demonstrated remarkable protective capacity against lethal SARS-CoV-2 infection when used prophylactically and retained considerable efficacy as a therapeutic agent. In immunodeficient mice carrying chronic SARS-CoV-2 infection, SLR14 elicited near-sterilizing innate immunity by inducing IFN-I responses in the absence of the adaptive immune system. In the context of infection with variants of concern (VOC), SLR14 conferred broad protection and uncovered an IFN-I resistance gradient across emerging VOC. These findings demonstrate the therapeutic potential of SLR14 as a host-directed, broad-spectrum antiviral for early post-exposure treatment and for treatment of chronically infected immunosuppressed patients

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.16.448754v1

nerd

Since RIG-I also plays a role in CFS/ME pathology, I wonder if it might also help against CFS/ME and latent infections.