• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A new gut-brain connection and a potential common thread in many neurological disorders: gut mucous

YippeeKi YOW !!

While we're on the subject of the gut and its microbiome (well, we were with the thread I posted just before this one, who knows where anything is by the time you read this), here's something interesting:

Researchers discover a new gut-brain connection and a potential common thread in many neurological disorders .... and its ....ewwww..... gut mucous......

"It's a new gut-brain connection that opens fresh paths for scientists searching for ways to treat brain disorders by targeting our 'second brain' -- the gut."

Captivated yet :woot::woot:? Read on :nerd:....

New gut-brain link: How gut mucus could help treat brain disorders
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200529093129.htm

YippeeKi YOW !!

(does anyone use this herb?) (I don't see this one discussed much around here)
Yes. I've recommended it in several threads for various stomach and digestive issues. It's a terrific herb, and also very nutritious, on top of its many healing qualities ....

But since I was responding to a comment re mucous transplants and not dealing with an on-going issue, I'll just stick to my one cap with the cinnamon-ginger tea every AM ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I did try slippery elm, but didn't notice any effect on my ME, or anything else.
I take it largely because it's part of my early AM stack, which is part of what helped me slowly drag myself up from the deep, dark wretched place I was in, and I'm too superstitious to stop it now o_O.

And it does add a small amount of mucilaginous protection to digestive tract endo cells and a modicum of nutrition .... can't say that it's the end-all and be-all, but it was part of what helped me, and I'm gonna dance with the partner who brought me ...

If you're having digestive problems or constipation, it can be really helpful. It can calm a misbehaving stomach. As a general sort-of tonic, it can't hurt, usually, but we're all different, so, you know, google ....

Rufous McKinney

I did try slippery elm, but didn't notice any effect on my ME, or anything else.

After going towards the WAY WAY LESS carbs and sugar diet.....and then taking chinese herbs for the gut- which don't include slippery elm, but include comparable herbs of similar style of operation (help mucuous in the lung and gut)....ME didn't really meaningfully improve while the gut operations did. So we can improve something about all that, yet in my case, its not preventing the ME.

The pill for this illness- seems to be Do Nothing. The more do nothing is accomplished, one feels better.

YippeeKi YOW !!

So we can improve something about all that, yet in my case, its not preventing the ME.
Much of what I've accomplished has been done by working on sidereal issues, sort of around the edges, without necessarily having much direct intentional effect on the ME, and yet, by improving those, the others seem to lessen in intensity. Or maybe there's just one less making me feel like crap, so things seem to be getting better.

Who cares. I'll take it.
The pill for this illness- seems to be Do Nothing.
It's as good as anything else on offer. And it conforms with the Hippocratic Oath's, "First, do no harm ...." thing. Someone has to keep it alive, and none of the Drs I've dealt with seem inclined to.

Wishful

The pill for this illness- seems to be Do Nothing. The more do nothing is accomplished, one feels better.

Nope, that's another 'works for some, but not for others' treatment. Extra rest doesn't seem to help me, while doing something physical often does, at least in the short term. I've done periods of little activity, and periods of many hours a day of significant physical activity, and neither made a noticeable difference in my ME severity.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Nope, that's another 'works for some, but not for others' treatment
I may have misunderstood, but I think that maybe @Rufous McKinney meant that sometimes, not throwing anything at this illness, whether supps, herbs, Rx meds, whatever, seems to work best. At least for awhile, giving your system a little rest.

Than again, who am I to say :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes: ???

Rufous McKinney

I may have misunderstood, but I think that maybe @Rufous McKinney meant that sometimes, not throwing anything at this illness, whether supps, herbs, Rx meds, whatever, seems to work best.

Well, all generalizations fail when it comes to ME, generally. If there is a rule, there will also be exceptions.

If I fully rest and do nothing, there will for sure be some improvement in some category- whereas virtually everything else is a- well, maybe that helped, or maybe it didn't or maybe it did but now doesnt.