• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A gut-brain link for Parkinson’s gets a closer look The m

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
@ljimbo423
I would think (following my own current generel hypothesis)
that an acute impact or more has/have caused a disbalance of pathways
which together would build cycles or a big cycle.

Here the influence on the gut would make to get out of the bad cycle
so, there might be other influences possible,
or an influence on more than one part would lead to a more stable improvement (maybe more than in 58% of the cases).

After a long time (15-20 years) the disbalance might occur again
because cells in generel have a memory,
eg if you have been trained to move your muscles intensively
only a few days if not hours will induce a quick build-up of muscles (I experience that).

I don´t know if this is true, but I think it would match up with the given numbers?

JES

After a long time (15-20 years) the disbalance might occur again
because cells in generel have a memory,
eg if you have been trained to move your muscles intensively
only a few days if not hours will induce a quick build-up of muscles (I experience that).

I agree that there are other factors than the gut that probably contribute as well, genetic etc. Regarding the long time, you may be right, but it may also be the other way. It could be that gut issues and dysbiosis begin long before obvious ME/CFS symptoms start to show up. ME/CFS has peak onsets around ages of 15 and 35, which theoretically gives 15 and 35 years time for the gut issues to develop. I read about a study here, which concluded that MS patients had more frequent hospital visits already five years before first diagnosed with MS. So it wouldn't surprise me the least that any process that started ME/CFS, including the gut, could potentially start long before acute onset ME/CFS.

Jackb23

@Jackb23, as I understand it:
Alpha-synuclein is a protein in vertebrates (eg humans) - and it is coded in a gene (SNCA-gene)
If there are special muations then a synucleinopathy can occure (the protein is misfolded, built up wrongly).

The article says a synuclein from the intestinal may become misfolded during the passage through the vagus nerve.
Maybe there is even some purpose, and in a low amount these misfolded proteins are normal? -
Then it could be subject to a regulation.

I only try to think logically. The most details are not known, generel speaking.
Maybe the gut theory will proof to be right, funnily.

True. I think I’m a bit biased because I so desperately wish for the mental impairments and other symptoms in me/cfs to have accrued from the microbiome. For me, I picture perturbations in the microbiome as a much easier issue to treat since the CNS is so guarded and it would be much harder to get treatments across the Blood Brain Barrier. This also makes the CNS a lot harder to study. So in hopes of finding a treatment/cure in me/cfs, I look at Parkinson’s as a potential blueprint for how to maybe treat microbiome based CNS issues in the future (If Parkinson’s does indeed start in the gut and they can find treatments). I understand that emotional investments often lead to befuddled thinking, but I like to think it would forebode well if a lot of CNS Disorders were rendered in the gut. Could truly pave a path for us suffering on this website.

@percyval577
Like the rest of us, I am really fighting with my life to get out of this morose epoch that so desperately wants to define a large part of my life.

Back