• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Critique of WPI Research on XMRV in ScienceBlogs, from NYTimes

Sing

I am very impressed by all these responses, as obnoxious as this blogger was, and risky as it was for me to post the whole nasty thing right up front. (I didn't know how just to post the link!)

I feel so much better with the thoughtful alliance and contributions here--oh my god! What relief. And it isn't only about this particular character, but all those who have been and may yet be, like her in their arrogant and hateful reactions.

Esther12 seems right on too,, with her analysis regarding shock jocks. I think a lot of people feed off of hatefulness AS IF it were power. They down its expressions in great draughts like "fire water". It serves to rally their fellows into a lynch mob, increasing their experience of powe. This is their drug!

How perverse that this style has infiltrated scientific discussion--and was posted in The New York Times--both of which are dedicated to the establishment of facts, of what is real.

But, anyway, with someone like her, I would never argue her points, even if she has some, but just keep a steady focus on questioning her hostility and aggression. "What is YOUR problem?" in other words. "What is it about YOU that you are so hostile?"

Sing