• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A - 104 Basal Ganglia Calcification, Hypothyroidism, and COVID-19: a Case of Possible Fahr’s Syndrome

SWAlexander

Abstract​

Objective
Major neurocognitive Disorder (NCD) is a largely heterogeneous condition with numerous etiological possibilities. Most diagnosed cases have unspecified origins. As such, Fahr’s syndrome (FS) is a rare neurodegenerative condition that clinically presents with varying neurologic, neuropsychiatric, and movement disorder features. FS is characterized by bilateral basal ganglia calcifications secondary to other conditions (e.g., endocrine and metabolic disorders, infectious diseases). This case will expand upon the literature of rare and poly-etiological presentations of NCD.
https://academic.oup.com/acn/advanc...in=false&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Last edited:

lenora

Hello @SWAlexander......I don't know if this is the entire story, or just research that you thought we should we should be aware of as people with ME?

I had never heard of Fahr's Syndrome (another syndrome???) and hope you don't have it. Yours, Lenora