• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

3 yrs on - methylfolate and muscle wasting roadblock

seamyb

Interestingly, once I began to titrate up on selenite, my body didn't care any more about the Boron. At this point, I could probably stop it and I would feel no effects. But it supposedly helps with osteoporosis and I could use some help in that area as I age.

I have no idea why this is, why seeming refeeding effects for a supplement should be displaced when another supplement may actually be what is needed. It's as if the body accepts one thing as a proxy for another. Is it because they are utilized in the same 'pathway'? I have no idea. I'm not a biologist. But I did also notice this - and have continued to with a similar conflation between Folate and Thiamine. I have found myself deficient in B1 several times, possibly because I have been taking too much folate. In this case, it's what Fred means when he talks about 'induced' deficiencies--taking too much of one thing can deplete another. And the further I go with methylation, the more careful I try to be about this. How? you may ask. Well, at the very least, fairly frequent testing. I try now to have a NutrEval Test twice a year. And I am having a hair/mineral test at least once a year--now that we are returning to salons and can have our hair cut!

How much are the NutrEval tests and can they be done remotely? Like can I get bloods taken from a doctor close by and sent to them?

Kathevans

The NutrEval and OAT tests, similar in the information they retrieve, are usually available through functional medicine doctors, or what you might term alternative doctors. If they order the test, and if you have good or reasonable insurance, they may well be covered. If not, they can be very expensive--hundreds of dollars. I always check their web site for information and end up calling to make sure I do it right.

I know that you can do it yourself through some independent sources, but I don't know what they are. The Understanding B12 site has a Unit that lists ways to get these done on your own, I know.

godlovesatrier

Yep. Just got myself a gdx oat and that came to £237. Very expensive. Also I noticed the Great plains oat isn't nearly as good as the gdx one for vitamin and mineral levels. Whilst some might say it's only indicative of what you are the previous day it's better than nothing I guess.