• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andMe states I have an increased risk of Celiac Disease. Thoughts?

SmokinJoeFraz93

So I wanted to know my ancestry a couple of years ago, and I forgot that I had health reports from my DNA, and when I looked on 23andMe recently, it showed a variant had been tested in the HLA-DQB1 gene.

Could anyone give their opinion as to whether it’s worth looking in to or not?

Also, I’d like to mention that my mother has severe depression and terrible stomach issues which are undiagnosed. I’m wondering whether something could be linked to my ME/CFS through this particular topic.​

Attachments

• 536B8D29-7721-47A9-BAFF-7ED925E5F810.jpeg
    536B8D29-7721-47A9-BAFF-7ED925E5F810.jpeg
    764.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 6425E6D1-019E-45F2-ADE7-AD43771A5192.jpeg
    6425E6D1-019E-45F2-ADE7-AD43771A5192.jpeg
    579.7 KB · Views: 10

rel8ted

I was dx with Celiac, but my symptoms were not exactly what the docs think of. My primary insisted it was “just IBS” until I developed fetal incontinence & threatened to move on & sleep on his couch. He was completely shocked it was Celiac.

***however, according to 23and me, I am NOT at increased risk of Celiac****
Take your results with a grain of salt, they are not comprehensive.

Moof

I wouldn't worry too much about such a minor increase in risk, unless you have specific symptoms – in which case you obviously need to be tested. Genetic profiling throws up lots of these small adjustments to risks, but the vast majority are unlikely to have consequences.

Just in case you did decide to go ahead – coeliac testing won't work unless you've been eating food containing gluten in the weeks beforehand. My GP decided not to mention that when I was tested! Luckily it was something else altogether... :rolleyes:

SmokinJoeFraz93

Did you get this results through 23andme?
May I ask how?
I've done the test some years ago, but at 23andme I only find stuff about ancestry?

Hey, my uncle bought me the test for my birthday. I think there was a couple of tests to choose from, and my uncle opted for the test that involved genetic health testing.

It’s pretty interesting and well informed. They test for gene variants that are involved in neurodegenerative illnesses. It even says what type of ice-cream you’re more likely to eat, and they were right regarding myself (vanilla) haha.

*EDIT*

Yes, I got the results from 23andMe :)

MTpockets

I have done the 23andme testing as well. I also have an increased risk of celiac disease. I happen to have celiac disease. Here's my thoughts. My husband and all of my kids also have the same exact gene mutations as I do. We trialed everyone going strictly gluten free to see what would happen to those who were not diagnosed with celiac. Nothing happened. LOL So I think that while you may be slightly more likely to develop it in the future, you won't necessarily get it. Take care of your gut health and you will probably never have any problems with it. But if you start having major digestive issues, go get checked for it. At least that's what I tell my kids.

Also treating my celiac has done nothing for my ME. I was hoping it was the answer, but they are two very separate issues.

Did you get this results through 23andme?
May I ask how?
I've done the test some years ago, but at 23andme I only find stuff about ancestry?

Perhaps you took the Ancestry only option but whichever test you took you can download your raw DNA data & upload it codegen.eu for a more comprehensive report. Bear in mind 23andMe, Ancestry, MyHeritage etc only test a small percentage of your genome otherwise you should test with a Whole Genome Sequencing company like Dante Labs they are €599 at the moment & you get some reports but you can Upload your data to either promethease.com $12 or sequencing.com $4.99 for a comprehensive report.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hufsamor

I did google on internet now, and it turns out, health report from 23andme is not an option in Norway.
(Norwegian rules, it seems....)

Hufsamor

Probably not a bad thing, given how useless much of it is! :lol:
:D
Maybe you're right..
I seem to remember the discussion was about wether it's good for people to know they have 50% increased possibility to develop Alzheimer, or not. (As an example)
You just gets the message in your hand, you can do nothing to prevent it, you don't have any professional help to handle the information.

But I must admit, I like to know. Just keeping in mind it's not accurate, and keeping in mind that lots of other stuff are in the picture as well...the genes are only a small part of it.

Lieselotte

I have that haplotype as well. It doesn't mean that you will get Celiac, just that you're more likely.
In my case I do have gluten intolerance.
You could always test for antibodies against gluten/gliadin to see if you're having a reaction to it.

suevu

I have done the 23andme testing as well. I also have an increased risk of celiac disease. I happen to have celiac disease. Here's my thoughts. My husband and all of my kids also have the same exact gene mutations as I do. We trialed everyone going strictly gluten free to see what would happen to those who were not diagnosed with celiac. Nothing happened. LOL So I think that while you may be slightly more likely to develop it in the future, you won't necessarily get it. Take care of your gut health and you will probably never have any problems with it. But if you start having major digestive issues, go get checked for it. At least that's what I tell my kids.

Also treating my celiac has done nothing for my ME. I was hoping it was the answer, but they are two very separate issues.

I reversed my celiac disease now I can eat gluten again, so beware of those doctors claiming its forever... took me long time and many good bugs, but now I can eat gluten again without any symptoms :)