epstein-barr virus

  1. SWAlexander

    SARS-CoV-2 infection and viral fusogens cause neuronal and glial fusion that compromises neuronal activity

    Abstract Numerous viruses use specialized surface molecules called fusogens to enter host cells. Many of these viruses, including the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), can infect the brain and are associated with severe neurological symptoms through poorly understood...
  2. Springbok1988

    EBV Reactivation in Individuals with Long Covid - Preprint

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.06.21.22276660v1 The full article is not available and it has yet to be peer-reviewed. Nonetheless, I thought people might find it interesting. Evidence of recent Epstein-Barr virus reactivation in individuals experiencing Long COVID Abstract...
  3. C

    MS reversed by transplanted immune cells that fight Epstein-Barr virus

    In a small trial, immune cells that fight the Epstein-Barr virus have stopped the progression of multiple sclerosis, an autoimmune condition that can lead to symptoms, such as difficulty walking, that worsen over time...
  4. Thehealthofholly

    Labs for Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)

    I’m going to get my labs done again (I have a PCP who will run anything, but does not have specialized knowledge of CFS). Am I missing anything for labs? Should I request anything more specific for EBV? I am 90 percent sure I had a reactivation of Mono this week. Fever, swollen glands, massive...
  5. Pyrrhus

    Predictors for Developing Severe ME/CFS following acute EBV (Jason et al., 2022)

    Predictors for Developing Severe ME/CFS following Infectious Mononucleosis (Jason et al., 2022) https://www.rehabiljournal.com/articles/predictors-for-developing-severe-myalgic-encephalomyelitischronic-fatigue-syndrome-following-infectious-mononucleosis.html A study from Lenny Jason that...
  6. RyeRyeBread

    Reactivating EBV v.s. ME Symptoms?

    I'm seeing a new doctor on Wednesday, and I'm trying to prepare for anything he can throw at me (lmao). My [suspected and most likely] ME started with mono, probably EBV, and I'm curious: What are the differences between recurrent/reactivated/chronic epstein-barr and ME? Specifcally the...
  7. Manuel

    "Epstein-Barr Virus and the Origin of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

    After a long time and a lot of work, our hypothesis on the development of ME/CFS following an Epstein Barr virus infection has finally been published...
  8. nerd

    Patient perceptions of infectious illnesses preceding Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

    Authors: Leonard A Jason, Samuel Yoo, Shaun Bhatia Published: 2021 Sep 20 PMID: 34541918 doi: 10.1177/17423953211043106 Abstract
  9. Hip

    Study found 31% of EBV ME/CFS patients achieved full remission on spironolactone 25 mg daily

    A 2020 study gave spironolactone 25 mg daily to sixteen Epstein-Barr virus ME/CFS patients, and found that 31% achieved full remission from their illness, and the other 69% observed improvements in their ME/CFS symptoms. Spironolactone is a diuretic drug, which is also prescribed for high blood...
  10. nerd

    Epstein Barr Virus and Autoimmune Responses in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

    Jog NR and James JA (2021) Epstein Barr Virus and Autoimmune Responses in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Front. Immunol. 11:623944. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2020.623944 Although this isn't about CFS/ME per se, this discussion shows the latest state of research on EBV causality with SLE. I think SLE...
  11. Pyrrhus

    Risks for Developing ME/CFS in College Students Following Infectious Mononucleosis: A Prospective Cohort Study (Jason et al., 2020)

    A recent, significant, publication from the team of Leonard Jason. What makes this study significant is the fact that they started out with average university students, followed them to see how many of them caught an acute Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) infection, and then followed those people to...