• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would methylation really help food allergies?

sillysocks84

Sorry am too tired to reply to all the posts in detail but were you also tested for histamine and prostaglandins and other markers for MCAS? Tryptase is a marker for Mastocytosis (which is a mast cell disease in which you have too many mast cells and is a form of cancer.) I do not have this one and my tryptase levels are always totally normal.
He did the normal food allergy tests then he did tryptase. I told him I knew those would return normal and they did. He sending me to ku med becausee he said he doesn't know those tests for the mast cell activation I suggested and he doesn't treat that. Also to let him know what I find out and it will take 3-4 months to get into ku. So yes, this is what I've been dealing with. All along incompetent doctors. And living where I live, trying to educate them and they still don't do anything.

sillysocks84

What are the actual symptoms? Is it a IgG or IgE mediated response?
If its IgE-mediated (meaning it is immediate, most commonly through rashes), consider supplements or herbs to dial down your Th2 immune response.
If you decide to try probiotics, take some RS with it to help shuttle it through stomach acid.
I don't know how to tell if they ige or ige mediated. Everything came back 0.10 which he said means I'm not allergic to specific foods. What herbs may help to calm the th2?

Critterina

@Critterina also periodically I have done fasts and each time they drain me more, maybe because I am not replenishing good bacteria?
I can't comment on the one probiotic you suggest - I don't know it and I don't know you and I'm not a doctor. For me, soil based organisms were key. And I was careful to avoid ones that produce histamine. But that was because of my own idiocyncracies. Good luck!

sillysocks84

I can't comment on the one probiotic you suggest - I don't know it and I don't know you and I'm not a doctor. For me, soil based organisms were key. And I was careful to avoid ones that produce histamine. But that was because of my own idiocyncracies. Good luck!
I will take a look at those, thanks!

ahmo

http://thelowhistaminechef.com/these-probiotic-strains-lower-histamine-rather-than-raising-it/

So I’m looking for a probiotic supplement with inflammation lowering…

Bifidobacterium infantis

Bifidobacterium longum

Lactobacillus reuteri (raises histamine in the short term but elevates anti inflammatory cAMP levels)

But also Lactobacillus plantarum (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3316997/)

Other than that, the potentially great news is that the L. paracasei probiotic can reverse the gut permeability (leaky gut anyone?) and internal hypersensitivity. Sounds good right? There’s more.

Seems that stress can also cause bacteria to cling to the gastrointestinal tract, but this bacteria was prevented from sticking to the mesenteric lymph nodes (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2008.03750.x/full) by a mixture of L. rhamnosus and Lactobacillus helveticus

Potentially…Saccharomyces-Boulardii: I found a number of studies on its effectiveness in treating http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17269987, which some researchers have http://www.hindawi.com/journals/grp/2012/950582/to high histamine/mast cell issues.

Neutral strains…

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus Lactis, Lactococcus Lactis, and Lactobacillus plant arum which do not have any effect on biogenic amines like histamine and tyramine.

But not…

Lactobacillus casei (produces histamine and tyramine)

Lactobacillus Bulgaricus (increases histamine alone)

For now I’ve decided to avoid Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, until I find studies showing that their histamine raising qualities are in fact something we want, because it raises cAMP levels/fights inflammation.

I did my research awhile ago, and my criteria include shipping w/o refrigeration, so you'll have more choices. These are the ones I chose. Also, alternate w/ Prescript Assist soil based. I'm putting C Butyricum in my yogurt, to avoid the cornstarch in the pills.

Gingergrrl

Thanks @ahmo I've heard good things about cb. @Gingergrrl maybe there is a form you can take?

Am really not sure at this point and would like to try probiotics again but afraid I will not tolerate them. My MCAS doc doesn't recommend them so it would just be pure guesswork and I had a horrible reaction to something last night (not a probiotic) and not tolerating much of anything right now. It's very discouraging but am trying to stay hopeful but not succeeding right now.

ahmo

How do you tolerate yogurt and fermented stuff with MCAS? I feel like a complete outlier when I read this stuff!
I did 3 things this year that might have affected my ability to eat fermented food. First, Candida/SIBO elimination. I doubt that his was so impactful. next, FMN form of B2. Definitely decreased my need for antihistamines. Shortly after, as per /critterina, I did a 3-day water fast. That's the point at which I began eating 1 spoon yogurt, sauerkraut, approximately every other day. + small piece of avocado. The only other thing I've tried was strawberry, which was not appreciated, but without symptoms.

But I did not have to overcome mold poisoning, my symptoms were never unmanageable.

Johnmac

If you were chelating heavy metals (or taking things unknowingly that do that, such as alpha lipoic acid or cilantro), your symptoms would suggest thiols, because chocolate, onions & garlic are all high-thiol. Mouth ulcers (tho not bumps so far as I know) are symptoms of mercury being liberated.

If I am allergic to onions and garlic and chocolate :cry:all of a sudden, would methylation be something to help? My symptoms are itchiness and tight throat. I get a bump or two on the roof of my mouth at times. I get afraid it will progress to anaphylaxis. Can someone tell me if methylation would help?

In addition, my normal dust allergies are worse. My throat is constantly reactive. I am see an allergist today for my food allergy test and tryptase results. Please help! Methylation looks expensive. I wouldn't even know where to start!:woot:

sillysocks84

If you were chelating heavy metals (or taking things unknowingly that do that, such as alpha lipoic acid or cilantro), your symptoms would suggest thiols, because chocolate, onions & garlic are all high-thiol. Mouth ulcers (tho not bumps so far as I know) are symptoms of mercury being liberated.
I was using some ala around the times this was happening... so do I avoid ala now?

Johnmac

I was using some ala around the times this was happening... so do I avoid ala now?

Bingo.

ALA is the most potent chelator of mercury. It digs it out of the organs, cells, brain. My guess is that you have stirred mercury from those hiding places & it's circulating round your body; sulphur thiol particles weakly bond to the mercury, & thus redistribute (drag & drop) it - typically causing the symptoms you mention. Suddenly becoming allergic to garlic, onions & chocolate is dead typical.

(When using ALA I had the worst thiol reactions of anyone on the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group, which is why I pricked up my ears when reading your symptoms.)

Things would not have been helped if you were taking the ALA episodically - with 4-hour intervals or more. That starts/stops the chelation process (ALA has a 3-hour half-life), causing even more mercury redistribution.

But - congratulations: you have in all likelihood just diagnosed yourself with mercury toxicity.

To prevent further short-term discomfort, & hopefully retire your present symptoms, look up a list of high-thiol foods & avoid them scrupulously for now; & stop the ALA.

Once things have settled down you can decide what to do next. If you want to chelate out your mercury, IMO the Cutler Protocol is the best & safest way. It means taking the ALA every 3 hours round the clock (to minimise the redistribution you are experiencing now), among other things.

Methylation helps chelation and vice-versa in my experience, & that of others - tho this is a little controversial. Personally I use the Freddd Protocol for that.

sillysocks84

Bingo.

ALA is the most potent chelator of mercury. It digs it out of the organs, cells, brain. My guess is that you have stirred mercury from those hiding places & it's circulating round your body; sulphur thiol particles weakly bond to the mercury, & thus redistribute (drag & drop) it - typically causing the symptoms you mention. Suddenly becoming allergic to garlic, onions & chocolate is dead typical.

(When using ALA I had the worst thiol reactions of anyone on the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group, which is why I pricked up my ears when reading your symptoms.)

Things would not have been helped if you were taking the ALA episodically - with 4-hour intervals or more. That starts/stops the chelation process (ALA has a 3-hour half-life), causing even more mercury redistribution.

But - congratulations: you have in all likelihood just diagnosed yourself with mercury toxicity.

To prevent further short-term discomfort, & hopefully retire your present symptoms, look up a list of high-thiol foods & avoid them scrupulously for now; & stop the ALA.

Once things have settled down you can decide what to do next. If you want to chelate out your mercury, IMO the Cutler Protocol is the best & safest way. It means taking the ALA every 3 hours round the clock (to minimise the redistribution you are experiencing now), among other things.

Methylation helps chelation and vice-versa in my experience, & that of others - tho this is a little controversial. Personally I use the Freddd Protocol for that.
Oh my word! You've literally made my day! I was hoping it would be something like this. Thank you for actually taking time to respond and help me. I have a 2 year old and all my symptoms worry me the most because he relies on me. Thank you thank you thank you! I have been avoiding onion, garlic and choc like the PLAGUE! Hehe and I sell chocolate as a very pt business LOL. Well...this is awesome. I was thinking histamine but maybe not so much.

Can I contact you when I decide to chelate merc? Would a traditional test be reliable showing merc levels? I think I had one a year ago (I do have on and off memory issues). I think at the time my doc just said normal levels.... anyway thank you thank you thank you! Today is a good day. I hope you are having a good one too!

Johnmac

Oh my word! You've literally made my day! I was hoping it would be something like this. Thank you for actually taking time to respond and help me. I have a 2 year old and all my symptoms worry me the most because he relies on me. Thank you thank you thank you! I have been avoiding onion, garlic and choc like the PLAGUE! Hehe and I sell chocolate as a very pt business LOL. Well...this is awesome. I was thinking histamine but maybe not so much.

Can I contact you when I decide to chelate merc? Would a traditional test be reliable showing merc levels? I think I had one a year ago (I do have on and off memory issues). I think at the time my doc just said normal levels.... anyway thank you thank you thank you! Today is a good day. I hope you are having a good one too!

Thanks, yes quite a good day so far.

Contact me if you want to, tho there are others who know more about mercury than I do, & the Frequent Dose Chelation (FDC) Yahoo group is the place where people collectively know the most, IMO.

If you are still having symptoms, remember to look up the high-thiol foods list & avoid anything on it till you cease being reactive - not just onions, garlic & chocolate. There's also dairy, coffee, and numerous other things. I had to be ultra-scrupulous (a drop of onion juice could put me in bed), & the reactivity to thiols took months to go away. (Methylation supps - mostly methylfolate I think - helped a lot.) However very few are as sensitive to thiols as I am, so hopefully your exit from this nastiness will be quicker & easier.

Glutamine & glycine in a 2:1 weight ratio will help with thiol symptoms, as will (more acutely) molybdenum. But no need to go overboard if symptoms are disappearing by themselves.

BTW my friend @David Hammond (author of a very good primer on mercury & chelation - which I edited & have a financial interest in) writes:

"Mercury changes the ratio of T helper to T suppressor cells so as to increase sensitization to antigens. This causes allergies to develop."

Memory issues are also very mercury.

You just did what may be the best mercury test available: wrongly dosing yourself with ALA. That test is is hard to top, tho not recommended. (-:

The Cutler people use a hair test from Doctor's Data, which requires quite some interpretation - tho the FDC crowd are very helpful with that. Urine & blood tests will only show how much mercury you have circulating currently, not what is sequestered in the organs & brain, where the real damage is done. I had "normal" levels from a urine test, but nonetheless benefited considerably from chelation - & had huge thiol symptoms, which again proved to me that plenty of mercury was coming out.

Last edited: