• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

why not sublingual methylfolate

garyfritz

How does dermal absorption of B12 compared to sublingual? Because I guarantee you none of the B12 I take transdermally goes through my digestive tract. If it can be absorbed through the skin on my arms and torso, why not through the skin in my mouth? If anything, I would expect mucous membranes to be more permeable.

Aerose91

How does dermal absorption of B12 compared to sublingual? Because I guarantee you none of the B12 I take transdermally goes through my digestive tract. If it can be absorbed through the skin on my arms and torso, why not through the skin in my mouth? If anything, I would expect mucous membranes to be more permeable.
Thats a good point, i never thought of that. Lots of things are taken transdermally, even hormones

Johnmac

Yep, very good point. It would seem that if the "sublingual doesn't work" argument is true, you could likewise be absorbing little or no B12 via your skin.

(Yet I gather you believe you are.)

Kimsie

When I swallowed it, I needed 15mg Mfolate. Since switching to sublingual/buccal, I need only 5mg.
This is an issue I am considering today. I have realized that with my sons if they take B6 orally very little of it makes it past the liver. This might be the case for some people with folate. If a sublingual dose is drastically more effective than an oral dose, then it might be that not much of it is making it past the liver. By taking it sublingually, the rest of the body gets a chance to grab a hold of it before the liver gets it.

Last edited:

Kimsie

@Kimsie You might be interested to know that I also found that applying B12 and r5p transdermally I've needed about 1/2 what I did orally/sublingually. :)
Yes, I have to echo Aerose91, how do you apply P5P transdermally? We use Pure Encapsulations P5P, which is pure P5P with only plant fiber for filler. Maybe that could be added to something. This interests me because at this moment I would like to find a way to get a slower absorption of P5P than we get sublingually, which seems to be spiking the neurotransmitter levels, and still be able to avoid first pass of the liver. We are dividing into a bunch of little doses but transdermally might give more even levels.

I wonder if methylfolate can be absorbed transdermally?

Johnmac

@Kimsie You might be interested to know that I also found that applying B12 and r5p transdermally I've needed about 1/2 what I did orally/sublingually. :)

Is that because so much is lost in the saliva dissolving it (prematurely), do you think @ahmo?

I'm going to have to make that switch, as I'm getting tooth cavities for the first time in years.

By the way, how do you get supps (I think B12 in your case) not to drip down your wrist when you apply them under the sweatband thingies?

Last edited:

ahmo

Is that because so much is lost in the saliva dissolving it (prematurely), do you think @ahmo?

I'm going to have to make that switch, as I'm getting tooth cavities for the first time in years.

By the way, how do you get supps (I think B12 in your case) not to drip down your wrist when you apply them under the sweatband thingies?
CL B12 (also Enzy) dissolved very slowly for me. My DDS has commented that my mouth is dry. I don't know the science behind transdermal, but I've clearly found it more effective.

When I used a lotion to dissolve the tabs, the result was a little bit runny, but only moistening the cloth I've put it onto, never running out of it's bounds. Now I've switched to a dot of coconut oil (could be any grease probably), there's no running.

Here's my set-up: a square of cloth, I'm using bits cut from a polo shirt, rather than thin, like a sheet. I fold the piece in half, ending up w/ about 2" square (rectangle, in fact). I use blu-tac to stick a bit of plastic to one side, to limit the seepage. On the other side, I put my tablet, and for FMN, B12, crush it w/ the back of a spoon. AdB12 needs more vigorous mashing. Add a blob of grease, and put onto skin w/ plastic side up, then fasten. Another possibility to hold it on is using a stretchy headband and wrapping a couple times, if the size works out.

Aerose91

Dr Enlander (and im sure others) sells a liquid mb12 that he uses as a spray for under the tongue. I wonder if adding a liquid to a cream base wouod make it easier to use

garyfritz

@Johnmac, I chose to use the Country Life 5000mcg methyl B12 exactly for that reason. It contains no sugar and no acid. The sweetener (xylitol) is supposed to be *beneficial* to tooth enamel.

The tablets are pretty soft. I break them into quarters and put them between my lip and gum. They dissolve very slowly there.

Johnmac

@garyfritz I'm afraid that in my mouth (between lip & gum) the above dissolve pretty quick - often 15 minutes.

Thanks for the news about the Xylitol. That's a plus.

Johnmac

Belated thanks @ahmo. I'll give your method a try shortly, & let you know how it goes.

I'm getting quite a few cavities, so a change is mandatory.

garyfritz

Huh. That's odd that they dissolve so quickly for you. I can wake in the night and put a quarter behind my lip, fall asleep, and there is still some of the pasty residue behind my lip in the morning!

Yes, if you're getting so many cavities, you definitely need a different solution. Maybe the Country Life will work for you. Or maybe you should consider a non-oral solution like @ahmo's trick, or the oil.

Johnmac

I think the Solgar methylfolate is rotting my teeth.

I'm going to try @ahmo's transdermal approach for the B12 shortly, & am wondering if that will work for the Solgar methylfolate as well?

@Aerose91 above said "If its absorbed sublingually it must work transdermal, as well." So maybe that's right...my science isn't too strong in this area.

Johnmac

@ahmo, apologies if I've already asked you this:

Do you think your transdermal method would work with m-folate?

One person told me he wasn't sure the molecule was small enough; but another here pointed out that if it works with sublingual it should work with transdermal.

Personally: Dunno.

garyfritz

I don't think skin absorption and oral-mucosa absorption are comparable. The mucosa are much more permeable. That's why sublingual works so well. Greg did a lot of research and experimentation to find an oil suspension that absorbed as well as it does.

@ahmo's experience indicates it works -- but I wouldn't expect it to work as well as the same sublingual in the mouth, or the same dosage in the B12oil. Might want to keep that in mind as you design your approach.

ahmo

I think the Solgar methylfolate is rotting my teeth.

I'm going to try @ahmo's transdermal approach for the B12 shortly, & am wondering if that will work for the Solgar methylfolate as well?

@Aerose91 above said "If its absorbed sublingually it must work transdermal, as well." So maybe that's right...my science isn't too strong in this area.
Worth a try, you've got the solgar. I gather that you've been needing less taking it sublingual, which is why you're not swallowing it?

Add: we're all posting at the same time. I'm also taking B2 this way, FWIW.